a ram without blemish

Patf

This morning Eddie went to the sheep market at Trie sur Baisse with a friend who has a sheep farm, to sell one of his rams. Most of the buyers were Muslims who were buying a ram for one of their festivals. Because our friend's ram had his tail docked he had to accept a slightly lower price. Does anyone know the background to this? Is it something called Haj? Pat.

It's Eid (usually written 'l'ad' in French) it commemorates Abraham being ready to sacrifice his son Isaac to god and being saved from killing him at the last minute. God then gave him an unblemished lamb to sacrifice instead. Traditionally, the head of the family slits a sheep's throat as part of the celebrations and then it is cooked and shared.

Every year it gets some coverage on the TF1 news; either from the National Front, Animal Rights (I didn't know they existed in France!), or Public Health. All of whom can find their own reasons to object to ritual slaughter in semi-public places.

Pat, how interesting as I've just finished reading an article in our local newspaper about abattoirs getting ready for the Eid rush, and I don't think we're going to have suffer the cries of our neighbour's recently acquired goat for much longer. Mistral's explanation is spot on (if you'll excuse the pun).

Margaret