French Films on DVD

Tonyfuller

The BFI have recently had a season of films by Jean-Pierre Melville running at the NFT in London.

They have just released 3 of his films on DVD, Le Cercle Rouge (1970), Le Doulos (1963) and Leon Morin, Petre (1961), all with subtitles and available on line at www.moviemail-online.co.uk. More by melville to follow and hopefully they will get around to issuing Un Flic in the not too distant future.

Also Artificial Eye do a wonderful series of French Films, all with subtitles for those who, like me, need more practise with the language, inclusing a new boxed set of the Three Colours Trilogy, with an additional DVD full of extras.

HMV currently have a world film sale on with, amongst others, Jean de Florette, Manon des Sources and Cyrano de Bergerac. Also available from HMV, but I think full price, are La Gloire de Mon Pere and Le Chateau de Ma Mere, also from novels by Marcel Pagnol.

Tony Fuller

>The BFI have recently had a
>season of films by Jean-Pierre
>Melville running at the NFT
>in London.
>
>They have just released 3 of
>his films on DVD, Le
>Cercle Rouge (1970), Le Doulos
>(1963) and Leon Morin, Petre
>(1961), all with subtitles and
>available on line at www.moviemail-online.co.uk.
> More by melville to
>follow and hopefully they will
>get around to issuing Un
>Flic in the not too
>distant future.

Thank you for the tip, Tony. The thought of a season of French cinema at the BFI almost makes me homesick!

>Also Artificial Eye do a wonderful
>series of French Films

Oh absolutely.

>
>
>HMV currently have a world film
>sale on with, amongst others,
>Jean de Florette, Manon des
>Sources and Cyrano de Bergerac.

These three are all quite superb. The Depardieu Cyrano is one of my favourite ever films. However, read a review somewhere over the weekend in one of the UK Saturday or Sunday arts reviews really slating

>La Gloire de Mon
>Pere and Le Chateau de
>Ma Mere,

Reviewer said something along the lines of 'apart from the beauty of Provence these two films would be of little interest to anyone outside of Pagnol's immediate family'! Must say that having read the books when first studying French, I enjoyed both of these beautiful films enormously and I think most Francophiles will.

Margaret

Hi Folks

The HMV world cinema offer is still on, masses of European and other goodies. Today I picked up two Jean-Luc Godard films, Bout de Souffle (Breathless) & Bande a Part. Both new wave stuff and Breathless has the involvement of Francois Truffaut, Claude Chabrol and Jean Pierre Melville.

Wonderful and they were only 9.99 each.

Tony Fuller

• 3 months later...
We have been looking for what seems forever for Le Chateau de ma mere and Le Gloirie de mon Pere! I have checked on the HMV website and cannot seem to locate these films. Does anyone know where I could get them? Or would anyone have a copy that they would be willing to sell? Currently writing from Edinburgh