Visiting an acquaintance in hospital... what's the etiquette ?

Catalpa

The woman from whom we bought our house is in hospital recovering well from a hip op. We're planning to visit her on Monday - is it okay to take flowers? a get well card? (Naturally, we'll avoid chrysanths especially as Monday is Toussaint!) Should we announce our intention to visit to her husband or can we just turn up? (in visiting hours, natch )

Advice would be appreciated. Including just how much information on the operation itself is *too* much information?! TOH is a bit worried!

Carole

Some hospitals permit flowers, others don't and taking them were they are not permitted is not a happy experience; I'd ask her husband if I were you, make it clear that you are asking if they are allowed in the hospital to avoid being told not to bother; where they are allowed they are much appreciated, particularly if they come with a container (a jam jar is a great deal better than nothing!). Cards are for posting around here (24/87/19) not for hand delivery, but I'm sure the thoughtfulness would be appreciated nonetheless. Sweets or chocolates are nice for the person because they can offer them to their visitors - people here hate not having something to offer.

I always find it difficult to make brief visits but French people are good at this.

Operations and illnesses are discussed in very fine detail in my experience.

Thanks, Pucette. Happily, she's done so well (or perhaps the holiday weekend has had something to do with it?!) because she's home. We're visiting her tomorrow with a nice plant arrangement. Now we just have to find the right facial and verbal expressions for the gory details.

Carole