U2 Tickets...

Crevette

Well it's not exactly "French Culture", but I thought I would relay the story of "trying to get tickets".

They advertised one gig at the Stade De France - I knew about this AGES ago (go to www.infoconcert.fr for news on tours).

You can tell when tickets come out for major groups as www.ticketnet.com goes down under too many demnds!

Anyway, for U2, they decided that the only place they would sell the tickets would be FNAC.

So, after ringing a few premium rate numbers (Stade de Frace, ticketnet, and then FNAC) to be told this information, I went over to my local FNAC to try and get tickets.

The tickets were released at 10am apparantly, I went down at 11.20. There I saw a queue of about 20 metres - I waited 10 minutes, and then "sorry sold out".

So then a few weeks later they advertised another gig at the Stade de France and this time I was prepared! I thought I would go to the FNAC early, knowing the tickets would only be sold there. Unfortunately my train was delayed, but I still got there for 9.50 (ten minutes before they go on sale).

When I arrived there I saw a queue of ABOUT 200 METRES!!! I don't know how long people had been there for but it was clear that if I queued up the tickets would be all gone before I got to the front! Madness!

-Rob-

Rob, every time there's a concert in Dublin I plan to go but am too lazy to queue and NEVER made it to see them at home. In 1992 (yikes that's ages ago) I was in Nantes for a year and U2 came to play in Nantes. The day the tickets went on sale I happened to be in town chatting to a friend and the  subject came up. I was disgusted I had forgotten it was THE day and, looking at my watch, said "oh it's already 3pm, tickets went on sale at 9am, it's too late" but my French friend persuaded me to go and try. Up we went to the local record store but there was no queue in sight "Je t'ai dit!" I exclaimed, proud of my familiarity with U2 concerts. But she persuaded me to go into the shop and up we went to the ticket desk. "Two tickets for U2 please" in our most optimistic voices, and she took out a wad of tickets and calmly tore 2 off the top. Oops! They were wonderful that year in Nantes! Still have to see them in Dublin sometime, but I hear last week (?) they were sold out in 40 mins.....