How Intergrated?

andyh4

[quote]But what does integrated mean? I have a friend who has lived and worked in France for 38 years. Both he and his wife are fluent French speakers [as you would expect]. He tells me that his only real fr...[/quote]

And what do the French offer in return other than high taxes and high prices?

Trying to blend in is not easy, the French arent the most welcoming of people....

Afy,

I think that depends on the people - and is in no way restricted to France.

Our experience is exactly the opposite.  In our small commune we have been welcomed by one and all.  After 3 years we know more people in France than we did in the equivalent sized UK village after 8 years living there - and personally I would not have classified them as unfriendly either.

I would heartily agree with Andy,

We have lived here since April and found no problems at all - our neighbours vary from 35-mid 80's all friendly no problemsin the Cafe - shop post office etc.

I have been working with French companies and travelling to France for some 25 years and have had less issues than in some UK communities, 30 years ago we moved into a Yorkshire village and some locals proudly informedus that we would never become considered locals! What a welcome on the other hand we made many very good friends that we still have.

Take the individuals as you find them there will always be some silly burke that lives under a rock - let them stay there and enjoy your life over here - it is too good to miss

James

For those of you who can remember, 3 weeks ago I asked what should I do about inviting my neighbours round, well I did ask both sets and it was a resounding success.  Husband's a bit of a foodie and they were amazed at the stuff he produced, wanted to know where we'd got it from etc. (local market), so perhaps that'll go some way to retrieving British culinary honour.

Madame was very pleased to be invited as I thought she would be but I'm still not sure about him.  There were no veggies this time and he didn't come out to say goodbye whereas we even got kisses from her (first time!)  What could we have done wrong?

Even tho we're only second home owners we try to join in and feel it's appreciated.  We attend meetings in the village hall when we're down even tho we don't understand everything (or anything!)  French is a bit rusty but coming on.  We went for a walk up a local mountain and were coming down feeling a bit puffed but proud when we met two local ladies on their way up.  One was 84 so we didn't feel quite so smug after that.

Miki - I have a vague memory of being sat on the butcher's counter and being fed raw sausage as a treat - but I would have done the same as you.

Re - housecoats and slippers, what about the washing?  We live in a village every bit as pretty as Bourton-on-the-Water and several of the ladies who live in the centre overlooking the river regularly hang their washing (including their big knickers) on a line over the river.  Imagine that in the Cotswolds!

And they're lovely, make us feel very welcome and last week made sure we knew about the film show in the village hall.  We went, didn't understand a word but enjoyed the pictures and the half time drinks, food and chat.  I think I may dye my hair red.