Doesn't he get on yr nerves ?

Houellebecq, who else ? Was on Ardisson's show last night, not because Ardisson likes him but 'cause Houellebecq -France's most talked about author- hates the guts of Ardisson's main rival (M.O Fogiel on France3), which has obviously got him in Ardisson's good books ! Anyway, whilst I suppose I liked his Les particules élémentaires' novel, and whilst I find Houellebecq unheard-of candour and honesty 'refreshing' and frankly amazing, for want of more descriptive terms (in his demure style, he really has no time for political correctness and, as a direct result, lives in fear of his life, as a recluse, in Ireland and Spain), I cannot understand why he's been dubbed by many France's best author. I just don't understand the fuss about this man ! His style is pleasant but no great shakes compared to many other authors, and his works feels so old hat. Writers such as Pérec and Salinger expressed much the same feelings of 'impossibility' and rejection 40 yrs ago, with infinitely more talent, especially in Pérec's case. It is madness to present him as France's best contemporary writer, people like Modiano, Pennac or even Cauvin, to name but a few, are so much more enticing, warm and talented than him. 650 novels out in September in France, and all they can talk about is Houellebecq ! The man is clever, feigns not to be fussed by the agitation around him while orchestrating the whole circus show and quietly worshipping the attention (and the money, he is said to be extremely 'cupide' and 'vénal' -greedy- and to be 'offering' his time to the highest bidder). I suppose what annoys me the most is that the one name people at large will remember in 50 yrs time, in reference to French literature, is Houellebecq. I think that he will be on Campus (France2, late evening) next thursday.

650 novels out in September in France, and all they can talk about is Houellebecq !

I was reading the July edition of Lire magazine in the library yesterday morning and one of the columnists was discussing just this (september launch of so many books) and just him (Houellebecq).  His name came up repeatedly and I made a mental note there and then to read him, for what will be the first time I'm ashamed to say.  Really interesting post, Vraititi, could you recommend perhaps one or two novels by the modern writers you do respect, Modiano, Perec, etc.? 

I wonder if Houellebecq is tax resident in Ireland, as so many writers are? 

Something else of enormous interest that I noted in referenced magazine was just how many hours of TV airtime are devoted to discussing literature in France, there's something on practically daily.  Very civilised.

Rue des boutiques obscures
de Patrick Modiano

also the excellent

E = MC2, mon amour
   de Patrick Cauvin

You might or might not take to Modiano's writing style, it's very much an acquired taste.

Cauvin is more traditional, the above's his best novel.

To answer yr Q about tax for writers in Ireland, I have no idea ! But to one jurnalist who asked him why Ireland ? Houellebecq replied 'car c'est le seul endroit où j'aime m'ennuyer'. Joli, non ? I mean, he is a genius in the way he manipulates the media and pulls the strings from his far-flung hideaways, you can't take that away from him, and his extreme 'candour' (if sometimes shocking) is something to behold, and so very rare these days, but he is overrated in my mind. Many critics view him as a bit of a pioneer, etc. and in a way he is I suppose, but to me that does not make him a great amongst the greats. Many critics also think of him as a complete fraud. Either way, he's certainly managing to get himself noticed, his legacy will leave on. Which no doubt is what he seeks.

I am glad you like to watch the literary progs, the French spoken there I suppose is reasonably easy to understand for a non-native speaker with a good level of oral F; whether it's civilised or not I wouldn't say but I wish we had a few (mainstream ones) as well in the UK, this country is really crying out for at least 2 a week, c'est con, hein ?

<script language=javascript></script>

Juste pour te faire plaisir Titi !

Le dernier Houellebecq débarque en masse dans les librairies

"La possibilité d'une île", le nouveau roman de l'auteur français contemporain le plus traduit, Michel Houellebecq, est sorti mercredi en librairie dans plusieurs pays Europe et aux Etats-Unis, précédé par une polémique désormais habituelle quand il s'agit de cet auteur.

Ce roman d'anticipation et de science-fiction met en scène un personnage contemporain, Daniel, et ses clones, des "néo-humains" qui souffrent d'avoir renoncé à leur part d'humanité, avec en décor une secte promettant l'immortalité à ses membres.

Il est présenté comme l'événement littéraire de la rentrée en France.

Critique radicale de notre société, écrit sur le ton du désespoir et de l'humour froid cher à l'auteur, "La possibilité d'une île" a été éditée en premier tirage par Fayard à 200.000 exemplaires et est arrivé en librairie en France, Allemagne, Grande-Bretagne, Italie, Espagne et aux Etats-Unis.

"Excellent" ou "assommant", "pétard mouillé" ou "bâton de dynamite", la critique est partagée.

Certains y voient une décapante méditation philosophique, d'autres une géniale dénonciation du prêt-à-penser contemporain et d'autres enfin les provocations d'un vieux râleur frustré, obsédé par les fellations.

Le livre est déjà évoqué comme un des favoris pour le Prix Goncourt, le plus prestigieux prix littéraire français.

Auteur des "Particules élémentaires" et de "Plateforme", Michel Houellebecq, traduit en 35 langues, s'est imposé comme l'écrivain de la souffrance ordinaire, explorant la frustration de l'Européen moyen dans une société qui ne sait plus partager.

Les membres de la secte Raël, dont s'est inspiré Houellebecq pour les "Elohimites" de son livre, ont "félicité" l'auteur mardi, satisfaits que soient reconnues "les qualités exceptionnelles de la philosophie raélienne".

Les Raéliens, dirigés par le Français Claude Vorilhon, alias "Raël", affirment que la vie humaine sur Terre a été établie par des extra-terrestres arrivés en soucoupes volantes et que les humains ont été créés par clonage.

Ils avaient assuré en décembre 2002, sans preuve, avoir fait naître le premier bébé conçu selon eux par clonage.

[quote]Rue des boutiques obscures de Patrick Modiano Rue des boutiques obscuresI didn't take to either of those. In fact I just put rue des Boutiques obscures on my pile of books to give to my MIL. Who's the guy, who are all the other people? I read it in intense annoyance, and only finished it in that frame of mind. Definitely not my thing. Houllebecque, well, or should I say Houlle, when I was in the UK over the summer there was an article in the Times on him, but I must admitt to have never read any. But does anyone out there in LF land actually like his books?

L'animal, well, nice article, you know how to cheer me up that's for sure, Houellebecq praised by the Raelians now, lol, excellent, had a good laugh ! sad thing is, I bet the perv' liked that, I mean the adoration from that this degenerate bunch of pungent yétis agités du gland, he probably lapped it up and all the rest of it. Next thing he'll have a sect of his own, all clones, straight from his lab, all half-female, half-tit, called names like Pippa, Fay-Latio and Gian-Ormeus Mammaries, as befit his obsessions and ambitions. He is the sort of murky creature who, if Dame nature would be kind enough to bequeath him a pair of large lolos to go with his bits and bobs, he'd never leave home.

Modiano, well, what can I say, I like him a lot, but I understand yr reaction, maybe his parisianism clouds my judgement. Pérec and Cauvin are very different, the former was famous as a main proponent of the 'sociological novel' in the 60's (and brilliant at it), the latter just a damned good old-fashioned romancier offering his readers funny and refreshing stories most of the time. What French contemporary writers do you lot like/appreciate/know ?

Can't listen to Ruquier on Europe1 (too early for me), so could not answer you, but I don't think he's the sort to turn up late and show off on Ardisson's show, in fact, last saturday he was interviewed in a different room from the rest of the guests ! (probably to maximise publicity and underline his contempt of mere mortals). But don't miss him on Campus this coming thursday, if he is in the same sort of scintillating form as last saturday we could be in for a treat. I find his total frankness compelling to watch, like in this classic exchange from last saturday:

Ardisson: 'Michel, there are 650 novels coming out at the same time this september [...], why is yours the most talked about ?'

Houellebecq: 'well, having no time for false modesty my answer to yr question is that mine is the best one of the bunch'

The rest (20 minutes ?) was of the same ilk.

OK, picked up Rue des Boutiques Obscures last night in the library.  The opening paragraph is what persuades me to read a book but I was hooked on this one by the opening line, "Je ne suis rien."  Sat down and read the first six chapters right there in the library, it was a real page turner, I'm hooked. 

Also picked up Extension du domaine de la lutte simply because it was the only Houelle on the shelf.  I approach this one with a very open mind especially in the light of the extract on the cover, "Vendredi soir, j'etais invite a une soiree chez un collegue de travail.  On etait une bonne trentaine, rien que des cadres moyens ages de vingt-cinq a quarante ans.  A un moment donne, il y a une connasse qui a commence a se deshabiller.  Elee a ote son T-shirt, puis son soutien-gorge, puis sa jupe, tout ca en faisant des mine incroyables.  Elle a encore tournoye en petite culotte pendant quelques secondes, et puis elle a commence a se resaper, ne voyant plus quoi faire d'autre.  D'ailleurs c'est une fille qui ne couche avec personne.  Ce qui souligne bien l'absurdite de son comportement."  Is this typique or just a tasty sampler to entice more readers?

M

Is this typique or just a tasty sampler to entice more readers?

I bought this yesterday, 3euros50.   I read the first 50 pages this morning, and it just seems to be about a bloke who works in computers.  Certainly readable enough, but so far not wildly illuminating or intellectual or philosophical or difficult to understand. The stripping connasse hasn't reappeared either.

Sauramps can keep his new one, I'm not paying 22 euros for a paperback!

How did I miss the post about the Raelians???  Silly me, must read more carefully in future.  When I finish Houellebecq I'll try that other one about the boutiques. 

Does anyone like that Nothomb woman?  Loads of her books on prominent display in Sauramps, but nobody I know has a good word to say about her.

Certainly readable enough, but so far not wildly illuminating or intellectual or philosophical or difficult to understand.

I've been so busy and stressed out at the office since I last posted on this subject I haven't even finished the Mondiano.  However, picking paragraphs at random out of Houelle, I would come to the same conclusion as you, SB.  Perhaps we've chosen the wrong book?  Mentioning his name to friends is interesting though for everyone has heard of him, even if they haven't read any of his books.  But even the young, over educated French I know pull a face and speak of him dismissively, saying simply that he writes too much about sex.  Where???

Further on the Mondiano, I continue to enjoy the first person narrative.  A crazy thing to say as I've never read a Raymond Chandler (spelling?) but is the style not a little similar?  Settings too, I'd imagine, though swap Paris for wherever he set his stories, LA?  It's the pace that I like especially.  It's almost as if we're following this guy around as he searches for his true identity and we're right there with him - or perhaps a few steps behind, lurking in the shadows - as he traipses around Paris.  Can't wait to find out who he really is.

M

saying simply that he writes too much about sex.  Where???

I found some!!!!

Starts about page 86, and oh boy is it tedious.   All about sex in the abstract 

Is it another social scale, what is this urge that attracts adolescents to each other?  And so on.

Between you and me, he'd be much better just getting out there and doing it, rather than philosophising about it.  Surely there are limits!

Actually, the book's okay, I prefer the "real" France to the ancient, bepinafored paysan sucking on his olive tree.

I prefer the "real" France to the ancient, bepinafored paysan sucking on his olive tree

But these irritating individuals pop everywhere, especially in all the we-bought-a-house-in-France books.  How come new arrivals with a publishing deal always happen to have such interesting, colourful neighbours?

Writing about sex in any language takes particular skills.  I've taken a couple of creative writing courses (not that there's much evidence of it in my postings...) and it's an element that crops up eventually on them all.  Personally, I'd rather read the cerebral stuff to the blow by blow graphics of novels (autobiographies) such as la Vie Sexuelle de Catherine X.  Goodness was that tedious!

M

• 1 month later...
I see he's now available in translation, there's a review in this week's Speccie of the book Christine quotes, "Possibility of an Island".  "The true heir to the Marquis de Sade" the reviewer, Anita Brookner, begins.  Almost an entire page later, it's pretty clear she loves him.  Think I missed the point for the computer bloke book bored me rigid.  M

I read Plateforme by Houllebecq a few years ago, before the Bali bombings which it anticipates.  It's an interesting look at how tourism exploits less developed societies.  I agree that he seems an infuriating man, but have enjoyed his books to date, though I haven't read the most recent one.

Nothomb I have never been able to get on with.   I quite liked Stupeur et Tremblements, but that was all - the rest left me cold.