Fete du Village

Fi

It is our village fete at the end of June and our school is selling cakes.  I have volunteered to bake some stuff (I really enjoy patisserie - my grandfather was a patissier - maybe it's genetic!) but would it be more fun/acceptable to make a mini pyramid of fairy cakes with pretty icing/crystallised flowers etc, or, would a couple of big cakes (e.g. white chocolate and orange,  lemon and almond, chocolate and chocolate with extra chocolate), or, maybe something terribly British like Bakewell Tart / Treacle Tart ??? 

I did ask what they would like the best, and I was told whatever I wanted to make.  The only choice on the sign up sheet was sale or sucre (sorry, no accents!).

Decisions, decisions ..... anyone got any thoughts?

Fi

For our fete we don't buy desserts, instead all the 'girls' in the village bake.  (250 covers usually!!)  I've found that anything chocolate always goes first.  Last year I did a victoria sponge but filled it with whipped cream and fresh strawberries and that went down well.  For cake bakes in the UK I often do muffins as they are i) very quick and easy to make ii) they are easy for the servers to sell (no slicing / plates etc necessary) and iii) they make a good return compared to the cost of the ingedients.

Fi, not a big fan of Bakewell Tart or Treacle Tart but the other options sound wonderful. In fact you are ruining my diet by discussing such things!!

The one thing I adore is Carrot Cake with loads of nuts of course and I can never find them available in France anywhere. So if I were to come to your Fete and you had one (or a dozen), I would probably break down and buy the lot. [:D]