Gitans/Romas in France

Swissie

After the long discussion on the difference between Roumanians and Romas in France- just want to highlight that an excellent film is currently on show 'LIBERTE' by Tony Gatlif. His real name is Michel Dahmani and he is the son of a Gitane. A reminder that up to 500 000 gipsies where exterminated by the Nazis, many in France and with the help and approval of the French. film takes place in France 1943.

PS  this automatic editor is ridiculous - the word N   A    Z    I   S    turned into stars. Lets see what happens to this version when i click on Post

I agree with you Swissie, about "Liberté"

In fact, I will even do the unthinkable, i.e. quote myself, as I tried to mention the movie in the "French Cinema" thread a while ago:

"Just saw "Liberté" by Tony Gatlif.

http://culturebox.france3.fr/all/6814/la-liberte-selon-tony-gatlif#/all/6814/la-liberte-selon-tony-gatlif/

Tony Gatlif is of mixed parentage himself (gypsy father and Maghrebin mother).

It is the story of a large family of "Bohemians"/ Roms/gypsies, persecuted during WW2 in France (during the Vichy government, it was illegal to be a nomad). They are being helped to relative safety by a couple of French resistants, but France itself being divided, a French collaborator is intent on their destruction (wanting to get rid of "vermin" in France) etc...

In spite of some weaknesses, the film is eminently watchable, gripping and informative. It came from a real life story of a particular extended family who were later successfully caught, deported, and died in Auschwitz - just like some 250,000 or 500,000 other gypsies who were murdered in concentration camps..."