Vosin Vigilance.

Jonzjob

Well, it's finally arrived in our village about a moth back and ur groupe is the first. It's the French adption of Neighbourhood Watch and there re somewhere about 3000 groups so far. In the 21 households in our group 20 are taking part and ike a new toy it is quite popular.

We had the first reunion (how can you have a first reunion when there ain't been none before it???) this evening, attended by M. Maire and a couple of gendarms. Lots of food and booze bought along and a very pleasent evening. It was amazing to see just how many people we didn't know within a couple of hundred yards after living here almost 10 years! I had no idea there were so many people here. It isn't even as if we keep ourselves to ourselves, we don't. We know what we thought was most of the near ones! With some luck the sucess of this eve will bring people a bit closer to knowing each other. A new experience for the French perhaps?

http://www.voisinsvigilants.org/

A sequel to the old Chinese electrical  proverb 'many hands make light work' it may be 'many eyes keep thugs away'?

Not arrived where we are  yet but getting closer .....I am all for it  if it is not up and running by the time we go out....    I will have to have words . Those of us who are away for months at a time should  get together to keep an eye on each others property and the social side has to be good .

I like the way they are set up and involved as a community

Sounds a very good idea. Rural properties here are very vulnerable to burglary. Two houses in the next commune to us were bugled last year.

The farm next to us was unoccupied for the first 5 years we were here, though we knew who owned it, and he worked the land. So we kept an eye out for any strange vehicles or enquiries such as where is you neighbour? and let him know . ( he was staying a few kms away.)

They were rather surprised but very grateful, and since they did move in have done us several favours.