2003 wine - any suggestions, please?

Jimble

I am no wine expert but I have a few hundred euros to spare and a large cellar, and I know that 2003 was a very good year. Earlier I was advised to wait until 2004 to buy 2003 wine, now the question is where do I go to get the best value - do I take a trip to Bordeaux or Burgundy, go to a local dealer (in La Vienne), or just go to a supermarket (much less fun!).

I would be grateful for any thoughts on how to spend my money ... and I am confident there will be many!

Thanks,

>I am no wine expert but
>I have a few hundred
>euros to spare and a
>large cellar, and I know
>that 2003 was a very
>good year. Earlier I was
>advised to wait until 2004
>to buy 2003 wine, now
>the question is where do
>I go to get the
>best value - do I
>take a trip to Bordeaux
>or Burgundy, go to a
>local dealer (in La Vienne),
>or just go to a
>supermarket (much less fun!).
>
>I would be grateful for any
>thoughts on how to spend
>my money ... and I
>am confident there will be
>many!
>
>Thanks,

Which regions (please) are reporting a good year in 2003? As some of France reported a terrible year in 2002 (particularly in the Rhone and due to the floods) one must be careful. 2003 could well be a great year but on a personal basis I have not seen the early reports as the putting together of the wine does not take place until spring 2004. Juice from the different parcels are now kept separate until the blending takes place. So I am not sure who has said 2003 is a good year?

Normally Rhone (2003) does not get shipped until late 2004 to the export markets as is the situation with Burgundy and Bordeaux. You may be suprised to note that the French do not buy in the main en primeur................we do in the UK. Its almost an exclusive club.

May advice (only on the Rhone) is to go for a drive there stay a week end and buy 1990, 1994 1995 1998 1999 and to a lesser degree 2000 and 2001.

I know very little of Burgundy or other regions........my absolute love and as I am putting this piece together is with a glass of Rhone from just across the river from Avignon. I am embarrassed at the cost (not very high indeed)

rdgs

LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-04 AT 11:03 AM (GMT)

It depends of course on your preference and budget....

Any grande or premier cru from 2003 is very likely to be excellant. As you move down the applelations there may be more inconsistency as in 2003 there were some excellent fruit, but also some pretty bad stuff as well. Thus for 2003 it will be very much down to harvesting and how the grapes were selected.

In Burgandy there are not many grand crus in the region, Aloxe Corton being one of my favorites. In Bordeaux there are many more 'grands' so a 2003 grand cru St Emillion and many others Grand or premier crus are going to be good choices if stored and left for several years.

In addition due to the inconsistency in fruit quality there is likely to be less high quality wine. Overal prices for 2003 are expected to be higher .. and consequently the high quality stuff will be quite valuable in the years to come.

regs

Richard

If you're looking to invest in wine then I can't advise beyond looking at top Bordeaux, Burgundy and possibly a few niche estates elsewhere.

If it's for personal consumption then an idea of the style of wine you like is needed. I could recommend plenty of Languedoc wines but if you don't like fairly full, ripe but tannic wines then my red suggestions would be inappropriate.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...