Flour for Panasonic Breadmaker

Dubna

With fewer and fewer visits to the UK I am getting to the stage of not being able to carry sufficient flour to keep me and my French friends in UK style bread.

So far I have found no reliable product in shops outside Paris and I am in Morbihan (56).

I am particularly looking for the following:

wholemeal strong flour

white strong flour

granary strong flour

Any ideas where I can get these products other than by expensive mail order from the UK.

I am sure this will have been asked before but the Search facility appears not to be working correctly as I cannot display anything beyond the first page of the search.

CHRIS

Hi,

I've had this problem also! Fortunately it was also recently raised (no pun intended) in a recent edition of French News, and is available online. If you go to www.French-news.com and search for "bread", it brings up several articles. Look out for the one headed Flour Power, which discusses different types of flour; however it contains a mistake, so look at it in conjunction with the one headed Yeasty Remarks.

It won't answer all your questions but it's a start!

If you do find some more information elsewhere please share it with us.

Regards,

F24.

Flour made from french wheat is low in gluten compared to english and canadian wheat. If you add gluten to french flour - 1tbsp to a pound of flour - this produces a more english-type bread.Another clue is that the higher the T number the stronger the flour. Champion sell a white flour T 85  which I use plus gluten for white bread. I get a farine complete from the nearest mill for brown bread - not as good as Hovis or Allinsons but better than the french supermarket ones. I also use quite a lot of oil. There is a firm called Celnat which sells gluten which I order  from a local healthfood shop. I've never seen granary flour here. Pat. ps You can buy english flours and have them delivered from a shop in the Dordogne but it's a bit expensive.