Restaurant Decor

Teamedup

How important is the look of a place to you, compared to the meal itself.

As long as a place is clean I would always go back, even if it didn't look very nice as long as the food was good. Whereas I have never been back to a beautifully appointed restaurant if we have had a lousy meal.

I agree that food is more important than decor - I would say however that heating is vital (or fans in summer) cause I can't enjoy my meal if I have to wear my coat! (Exception of course is when you decide to sit on a terrasse in winter for a coffee...) When you talk about going somewhere for a coffee though I love to find a cosy spot with nice decor to sit back and enjoy my coffee (and some of the dessert specials). Most cafe/bars with their smokey atmosphere don't entice me (I'm now used to the smoke-free pubs in Ireland!) and I'll stick to the 1/2 English restaurant that I found in Marciac where you can settle into the comfy chair beside the fire and think you're at home (except better, because our home doesn't have a comfy chair yet!)

If a restaurant has plenty of diners with a healthy buzz of conversation and outwardly enthusiastic staff then nobody notices the decor. The problem is that if one dines at quiet times then artifical aids such as decor, table setting etc. come into play much more.

Graham