Gammon Joint?

Fionah

Hi

In nearly 18 months, haven't managed to find anything remotely resembling a gammon joint. We had a lengthy discussion with the lady in our local farm shop, which supplies beautiful ham and other pork products, but she was at a total loss to understand the British gammon steak or joint, although she did say that if we could give her the recipe, she would try and produce it.

The closest to a gammon steak that we have found is "jambon a griller" available on some deli counters in supermarkets, although this always seems to be smoked and is not really to our liking.

Last year I got someone to bring over a gammon

Karen

Our Atac (a small Auchan) sells epaule which is half a shoulder of salted pork (= shoulder ham)  If I remember it has a generic name of sale - sorry about no acute accent.  It is so delicious we always bring one back to England with us.  We boil it in the usual way having soaked it overnight usually to have hot with new potatoes and a mustard sauce and then cold with chips followed by soup and sandwiches later in the week. 

I think it is intended as an accompaniment to choucroute, ugh!, but the flavour of the mear, in our opinion, is superior to what we get in English supermarket gammon and there is no no added water.

I have always wondered why gammon joints are so hard to find in the shops and yet served in most Autoroute restuarants, but then I noticed in Hyper U and Le Clerc recently, large raw uncooked unsmoked pork joints, marked as "porc" aor " Jambon" joints, they were half legs and shoulders of pork, the shoulders were marked "porc", the legs "jambon".  We asked the butcher what it was to make sure and he confirmed that we could either roast it as roast pork or boil it for a gammon.  They are doing tremendous bargains at the moment, we paid about 2€ a kilo for our 13 kilo jambon joint and cut it in two, the top for the gammon and the bottom for a roast.

Oh good news......will have a look in a larger supermarket - huit a huit definitely don't sell it !  I'm sure my daughter will be very pleased at not having to bring out a large piece of gammon in her hand luggage at Christmas time    Thank you everybody for your help.

Fiona