Double Cream?

Fitzsie

You can either buy UHT crème liquide or, if you can find it, chilled crème fraîche fluide. The latter is much better - not UHT and contains no additives that you will find in UHT cream - but it can be harder to find (at least where I live). I buy it in 50cl bottles.

To replce double cream, I either use crème semi epaisse or marscapone, which I sometimes mix with single cream.  There was a period when I could find UHT double cream at leclerc, but not any more.

I think some people here have found double cream in cremeries, but I expect that's more likely in places like Normandy and Brittany.

Some types of 'creme crue' are very similar in taste and texture to British double cream. These tend to be from local producers so are more likely to be found in dairy producing areas. For instance there is one from a producer near Granville which is stocked by some supermarkets in south Manche - markets are often a good bet.

What is often sold as creme crue is really unpasteurised creme fraiche, with the slightly soured taste.

A little tip on using the LL UHT whipping cream here. Keep in fridge when bought and just before whipping,take out and rest at room temperature for at least 30mins and it will whip much quicker than either from the cupboard or straight from the fridge. You can add a little icing sugar to sweeten or a few drops of vanilla essence too or mix with yoghurt.