Electric oven it's wonderful not to.......

Val_2

have burnt offerings anymore. Got the new all singing/all dancing fan assisted digital oven installed yesterday and I can't praise it enough. I watched yorkshire puddings literally rise and brown before my eyes in half the time they took in the gas oven and everything has cooked beautifully so far. So for all of you out there like me who have been tearing their hair out for all these years, get yourself an electric oven with the Pyrolisis cleaning system,well worth the money.

What a coincidence that you posted this today!

I just came on the website to look for advice as our oven in our gite may be broken and we are going over tomorrow night for a couple of days and I thought I may look into the possibility of buying a new one rather than repairing it. It is not completely knackered, in fact it's only a few years old, but it is a gas bottle one and the guests don't always treat it with the "respect" it needs (e.g. you are supposed to attach a metal shield above the oven whenever you use the grill - people are always forgetting and then the knobs crack with the heat and need replacing).

Another coincidence - I just saw a snippet of "Place in the Sun" (I don't normally watch it - honest!!!!) and they were in Portugal where there was an oven with 3 gas hobs, 1 electric hob, and an electric oven.

Is this the same thing as the one you have? Could you let me have a few more details of the one you have? Finally, do you need to have some sort of minimum electric voltage at the house? I am asking this because most of the time we have no problems, except in the winter if it is cold and all the electric heaters are on, if you then turn on the kettle it sometimes blows the main fuse!

Thanks for any advice!

Cookers that have three gas rings and one electric burner have been on sale in France for years and years, a question of having a backup ring whenthe gas runs out really. I would have thought the very minimum voltage you could have for running an electric oven would be 6kw and then you couldn't have many other items going at the same time. We have 9kw but then we live here daily and run many things at the same time.You have a low supply which is why your fusebox cuts out when the kettle goes on with the electric heating - you need to get an upgrade which is free from EDF but will cost you more in the standing charges.

To be honest for a holiday rental I wouldn't be spending the sort of money I have paid for my oven/hob for visitors to misuse through laziness, its far too complicated and is a top of a range model and the gas hob is glass which could be broken by uncaring renters. You may do better getting a cheaper cooker that can be replaced after a couple of years to keep the standard of quality up and not cost you the earth and the thing still looks clean and tidy anyway. From seeing  some holiday rentals,people often couldn't care less about the fitments,they are there to enjoy themselves and not worry about cleaning and looking after things. Have a look round the electromenager shops and the larger hypermarkets, there are some good cheap cookers out there,sadly not for heavy every day use like our household,but sufficient for a holiday gîte where people are not going to be cooking huge roast dinners every day.