vinegar starting kits

Porth

Please do not think I am losing it on this hill the second highest point in Normandy but our neighbour has a vinaigriers on the go and tops it up with left over wine that sort of thing.

She tried to explain how one starts it off by lost me as my French is less than ok in areas such as these.

Has anyone any recipes please for the starter kit and where does one obtain whatever is needed.

In doing so my I point you fool lovers to www.tompress.com.

Its got things that even Kitchens in Cardiff Bristol and Bath do not have and they have most things.

some Christmas presents (ideas wise) in there for me.

thanks

We've discussed this some time ago (probably not searchable now). You need to get a vinegar 'mother' which starts off the vinegaring process. Try doing a Google search on 'vinegar mothers'. I seem to remember someone in the States selling them on-line.

Thanks for the link. They have a book on vinegar making for 6 euros - maybe you should order one

My neighbour used to have a 'mere'. It actually looked like the dregs at the bottom of an old vinegar bottle only a lot bigger and rather slimy, not that I touched it.

If I wanted a 'mere' I would just ask around, I'm pretty sure that someone would have one and tell me how the process works.

[quote]My neighbour used to have a 'mere'. It actually looked like the dregs at the bottom of an old vinegar bottle only a lot bigger and rather slimy, not that I touched it. If I wanted a 'mere' I would ju...[/quote]

We got a "mother" off a neighbour and it works very well.  The main problem is the lack of left over wine to keep topping it up