Raclette

nom de plume

LOL[:D] that picture of peppers etc, shocking just shocking to me. Think it would shock many a savoyard I know too.

I love raclette  the way they eat it around here. Just love it. Very simple, the cheese, the potatoes, cornichons and a good selection of charcuterie. Simple and delicious.

Not just windows there are raclettes for the 'sol' too.  I have only seen anyone use that method in their home once.Really wetting their tiles and then using a raclette to pull the water eventually outside. It was very very messy and I just cannot imagine that I would ever do that, as I don't understand why I would need to do that.

There are some lousy raclette cheeses and some that are delicous. My favourites are au vin arbois and brezain.

I think the word "racle" means a rake (as in garden rake).  Therefore "raclette" is a little rake.
You can see the sense of this if you have ever used one of those more traditional raclette machines where half a cheese (shape of half a cartwheel) is speared onto a holder, with the cut surface at 45 degrees. A naked heating element is then brought close to the cut surface and, as the cheese melts, the diner scrapes his knife along the now-melted edge and splats the cheesy gunk onto his plate beneath.  Mmmm.  Repeat for each person at the table, in turn. 

Angela

[quote user="moonraker"]

What about "se racler la gorge"? To clear one's throat

[/quote]

The other use of "raclette" is to describe the squeegees used for tile grouting. You pour the grout on and "racler" to get it into the gaps. A very efficient method. A friend bought us a raclette for Christmas (some sort of badge of integration - "you are nearly French, but first you must eat this melted cheese") but we need to remember to buy the cheese, etc. My brother in law eats it all the time, I think because he is nearly Swiss (he's been there such a long time that they are going to give him a badge saying "this man has passed the exams and is Swiss. May God have mercy on his personality.") and is therefore expected to. All very curious.

Isn't that the same sort of thing as TU's tile cleaning device?

Raclette (as in the machine with the melted cheese, charcuterie and potatoes) is very popular in Normandy, certainly not one of those gadgets you buy, use once, and then consign it for evermore to the back of the cupboard. Though it does seem to be brought out only in the raclette season. I suppose, as with the Swiss, it is because there is so much cheese in Normandy.

I have seen camembert-type cheese used (by the Norman French) in the raclette, but normally they insist on having the right cheese, which has to be imported from elsewhere, rather unusual for a race that usually insists on local things being far superior.

Enormously popular in Lower Normandy and this corner of the Sarthe.  There's a huge range of raclette cheeses in the supermarkets throughout winter.  But I said my piece on this in another raclette related thread long ago so I'll shut up now.