Buying wine

Paul

Hi Guys

Is there any good vineyards were i can buy wine from direct.I normally buy my wine from Metro ( cash and carry ) but i would like to buy my wine direct from the vineyards

Hope some one can help

Regards

Paolo

www.alpine-connection.com

mamma mia!  Paolo! don't tell me another Italian on this forum???? i have been here tutto alone for 5 years!!! where are you  from?

you are not far from the border.. why don't you buy your wine in Italia??? much more choice over the alps.... [:P]

Hi Massimo,

Yep another Italian, from the south just 60km inland from Napoli. I am looking at buying wine from Italy also, from our local cantina www.laguardiense.it  some outstanding wines. But would also like to have some French wines.

Regards

Paolo

Ps Those pizzas look good

Heavens! There are about 140 vineyards in the Gaillac Appellation area alone most of which supply decent wine. Perhaps you need to consider if there is a particular area in which you are interested - Rhône, Bordeaux, Loire etc and then narrow down your search. Bordeaux alone produces more wine than the whole of Australia so you certainly won't lack for choice!

• 2 months later...
Although Italy produces more wine and Spain has more hectares under vine - France is still the epi-centre of the worlds wine trade.  Buy yourself the hachette guide de vins 2007 edition - they list about 10,000 recommended wines, most of which can be tasted and bought direct from the producer/chateau. (all contact details, opening hours etc are in the book)

Happy tasting (get someone else to drive of course!) and bottoms up!

Ian

I am lucky enough to live in the biggest vinyard in the World.

Try some of the Minervois or Carbardies wines. They are the deepest reds and tastes you could ever wish for. So full of the sun and the Carbardies are a combination of the Alantic and the Medetrainian grapes. Wondeful.

Why go to Italy when you can be so spoiled here. Corbiers, Fitoe, La Clap, oh so much good wine, so little time!! Sorry about the spelling, but I got a bit carried away!!

Haven't been there for a couple of weeks now Ian. Smashing place with good food and the wine in the restaurant at the same price as the shop too.

Lots of people go for a meal and leave with a 6 pack or 2. Bottles not cans [:-))]...

Is it close for you or were you visiting the area? If it's close I have a couple of other places that may be of interest...

I live about 35 minutes away from chateau pennautier (little village called Durfort, near Revel - putting me in striking distance of Gaillac, Fronton and the Cabardes/minervois/corbieres).  I agree with your comments regarding the restaurant - good value!

Maybe a private email to me would avoid boring the other readers!

many thanks,

Ian