restaurant Millau

DAVID

Hi,

We are meeting friends in December at a mid way point, which happens to be Millau.

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant for sunday lunch? We like authentic / auberge type places but all the one I've found so far appear to be closed in December. If not auberge, does anyone know of a good restaurant that stays open year round?

Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers

Muzzie [:)]

We've never found anywhere really good in Millau (one place wasn't bad but have forgotten the name, although I could walk there from the centre). The place that I suspect is really good (events have conspired to prevent us from trying it) is at Peyrelau (ca. 20 kms from Millau) at the start of the Gorges du Tarn - the Grand Hotel de la Muse et du Rozier  which should be open all year round (though I think closes for lunch many days  out of season). Best of luck and please report back.

After visiting the viaduct earlier this year we had lunch at the Château de Creissels, just 2km south of Millau. I saw it in our Routard guide, and was very pleased I did! It was a lovely meal with excellent service. The lunchtime menu cost 23euros, with others up to 48 euros. Not cheap, but a lovely meal. The Château is in the middle of the village, opposite the church, and has views of the viaduct from by the car park and from the terrace. By the way, rooms are available in what are described by Routard as charming rooms from 49 euros!

Jo