A case for the 'Pétrus Police'!

TWINKLE

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Any body know how much a bottle of 2004 is direct from the Chateau ?[/quote]

A quick search online shows that a magnum (this was a magnum rather than a bottle) can be bought from a wine merhant in London for US $254, or from a merchant in France for US $468. Both are the same vintage from the same château (La Fleur)

Who said it was cheaper to buy wine in France than in Britain? Incidentally, the same French merchant has a magnum of the same vintage but from a different producer at $2845.

I do not know what the cross over point is now but because UK has a higher duty on alcohol but a lower VAT rate it used to be the case that above about £ 8 per bottle and assuming the same markup more expensive wines had a lower tax content in the UK.

Must get out more they are only 15 minutes down the road.

Twinkle - buy me a couple of cases, will you? [:D]

Anton - I quite agree. I still buy cheap wine in France of course, but more for expensive bottles I'm not bothered where I get it - it's more a case of where I find the one I want. Mind you, for me (and I suspect most people) 'expensive' kicks in at considerably below £18,000, even in a flashy restaurant. When you can get a decent Gigondas in Tesco for a fiver (unfortunately that offer has come to an end) why go to France?

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

I do not know what the cross over point is now but because UK has a higher duty on alcohol but a lower VAT rate it used to be the case that above about £ 8 per bottle and assuming the same markup more expensive wines had a lower tax content in the UK.

[/quote]

Anton - not quite sure where you got your figures and how old they are - but today a bottle of wine has to be around £80 (eighty) before you pay less tax in the UK than in France.

The difference in VAT is only 2p in the pound (19.6% vs 17.5%). The UK adds a flat £1.33 per bottle in excise duty. UK VAT applies to the excise duty thus adding another 23p . To recover that £1.56 in extra UK tax the wine needs to cost more than £78.

rgds

Hagar