Final account from Notaire

MisterC

Hi all

We signed the Acte de Vente in June 2009. To date despite one reminder to my notaire, I have not had the final account or any repayment of overpaid money (which I think might be due)- as you know you pay an estimated amount. There was some argy bargy over title which delayed the signing and new docs had to go to the Bureau des Hypotheques and I was warned by an English Lawyer that the return of docs from the Bureau des Hypotheques can take ages, BUT this still seems a very long time to wait. Anybody else had a similar problem?

MisterC

Our final account took eighteen months and I wrote and phoned, etc.  However, when the cheque finally arrived, it was nice and big and I am not sure to this day, why a cheque representing about 66% of the original estimate was sent to us.

And, no, I didn't care to delve too deeply into it:  just very grateful for small and not so small mercies! 

I went in to pick up my documents about one year after purchase to be told I had a surprise €45 euro due back to me and what account did I want it paid into (helpfully a cheque signatory was not present at the time).

I think my answer of -  "You had all my french bank account details a year ago.  Lots of funds came from this dont you think it would have been sensible to pay it back into this?  Why has it taken you a year to admit to it which in itself was only prompted by my visit, wouldnt a letter or email have been nice?" - was nicely framed in my mind but all that came from my mouth was a meek "Thank you here are my details".. 

Am I pathetic or what?

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

I think my answer of -  "You had all my french bank account details a year ago.  Lots of funds came from this dont you think it would have been sensible to pay it back into this?  Why has it taken you a year to admit to it which in itself was only prompted by my visit, wouldnt a letter or email have been nice?" - was nicely framed in my mind but all that came from my mouth was a meek "Thank you here are my details".. 

Am I pathetic or what?

[/quote]

In a year you could well have changed banks and you would now be posting:

'they paid the refund in to an account that I had closed - why did they not ask for the account in which to pay the refund'.

Paul

Quite possible, but less likely in France where changing banks can be very difficult.

More likely is that they found this paperwork in your file, and thought (en français of course) "Mon dieu - I should have dealt with that ages ago. I know, I'll get round it by saying we didn't know where to send the money".

Perhaps I'm just a cynic?

[quote user="P2"][quote user="Stan Streason"]

Am I pathetic or what?

[/quote]

In a year you could well have changed banks and you would now be posting:

'they paid the refund in to an account that I had closed - why did they not ask for the account in which to pay the refund'.

Paul

[/quote]

I think I probably realised that deep down and did not expect the money paid back but a letter or email would have been nice - I think that was the frustrating bit.  If I had not arranged to go and collect the paperwork I would never have known about this.  Its not as if they told me once and I just forgot.  They never told me. Surely there is some rule to say they have to inform clients if they are holding their cash.  Nice little earner or what?

Yes I know its not much in this case but thats not the point.

We experienced a similar delay with money due back from our notaire three years ago.  We wrote several E mails, none of which garnered any response.

I have to say that since we've been here, it has become evident that the French have yet to grasp the initiative of courtesy (and sense) in replying to E mails promptly, if at all.  Are they frightened of this technology?  I know several potential contractors or companies that have lost OUR prospective business because they can't be bothered to respond, or acknowledge receipt.  Their loss, but they DO seem to be either reticent or a bit behind in terms of the advantages of this useful medium.

Chris

Stan Streason says:  nice little earner or what?

But, Stan, it's not even their account the money goes into.  It's an account held with the Trésor Public, so it's not as though they get to hang on to your money in the meantime.

It's just incompetence and lackadaisicalness (I had to look up the spelling but I am sure you know what I mean [:D])