Any Mirabelle Recipies, please?

D Chevaux

Hi Mme Bretagne

We have loads of mirabelles and I mainly bottle them for later to make pies and crumbles, I also make jam.  But as a quick a very tasty dessert, I buy some ready rolled puff pastry (made with butter) and cut the mirabelles in half and remove the stones (which come out very easily).  I then lay the mirabelles cut side up on the pastry leaving a small edge all around and sprinkle lightly with castor sugar and bake at 180 until nicely coloured and pastry is crisp.  Serve warm, with cream, icecream or creme anglaise - delicious.

I have a recipe for jam.Very nice indeed,makes about 2.5ltr of jam.

2 kilos Mirabelles

1.6 kilos sugar

Pit the fruit,and pour over sugar.Coat the fruits with sugar and leave in a covered bowl overnight.juice will be released.Next in a large pot,bring the fruit to the boil until a temp' of 220f is reached stirring to keep from burning.starting at 219f,use the saucer test to see if it will gel,repeat until it sets.ladle very hot into sterile jars,seal,cool,upside down(to create a vacume seal).

I would have scanned the recipe but scanner is not working.

The mirabelle tree from which I got kilos and kilos of mirabelles last year is all but barren this year so 5-e you're right about it being not such a good year for these fruits.

To balance things out a bit, the bullaces are fantastic and the tree that I know is already laden with huge fruit.

Gengulphus from this Forum tells me that bullaces are very good for making bullace liqueur so that's a plus.  On the minus side, I am now practically teetotal!