Merangue in the microwave

idun

I had a vague memory that I had seen someone make up merangue for floating island in the micro wave.

And so I thought I'd try it.  I beat the egg whites, added the sugar and then looked on the web...... and could not find any post where it said I could cook merangue like that in the microwave. There were some odd recipes.

Anyway, I had already made up the 'custard', so couldn't poach the merangue in the milk, so I stuck it in a big bowl and stuck it in the micro wave, on full blast for a minute and then a little longer.

It rose, it was cooked.  So I carved it up and put it on my custard and it was very like mallow, and perfectly OK.

I am now wondering if that strange recipe on the web with unbeaten egg whites mixed with icing sugar, will work. I know that they should, but isn't that royal icing.

Has anyone tried it?

I shall report if I do[:)]

That sounds amazing, idun!

I have not made "îles flottantes" for ages, so thank you for reminding me of it. Whenever I have, the poaching of the meringue in just-simmering water is a real mess, and I find myself fishing out misshapen icebergs and having to stand them on a wire rack in order to drain the dripping water out of them.

I might try your new method!

Angela

My microwave book says:

Mix 10 oz icing sugar with one egg white to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and shiny. Pat the dough into a 6 inch circle and cook on full setting for 3½ to 4 minutes.

When cool top with pear halves and drizzle with melted chocoltae.

Could this be adjusted to use in your custard Idun? By making small circles and cooking for a shorter time.

Yes, that is the only recipe I could find. But as my merangue was ready to poach, had to risk cooking it in the microwave.

If they hadn't turned out, I still had delicious custard to eat or put with something else[:D]

I just microwaved it all together in a BIG glass bowl and when it was cool, tipped it onto a cutting board, and as it was just for the family just sliced it with a knife into cubes. I reckon I could have quenelled it if I had wanted, but could not be bothered really.

It is a mallow really and I have even been thinking about making chocolate teacakes!!!!

I shall try the unbeaten / icing sugar method though.