Elderflower cordial / sureau cordiale

Sunflower

We have just been on a holiday to Venice, Italy where we have enjoyed a cocktail called a 'Hugo' whose base is elderflower cordial. Does anyone know where we can buy this in France? We are in 24 between Perigueux and Hautefort. It's a gorgeous long cold drink made from elderflower cordial, lime wedges, mint, prosecco and tonic water. We got a little addicted and would like to make it once we are home but can't recall seeing the cordial in France though we know it's popular in the UK.

You're too late to make it this year, but get out there picking elder flowers next May and make your own!

I don't think the French ever have it. I have tried them out on my home-made "sirop de sureau' and it had never gone down too well

That sounds a wonderful drink that you describe; I must remember to try making it.

Angela

Hey, I saw that on Country File only a couple of days ago, I mean how to make elderflower cordial.

You might be able to google it on the BBC website.

I wasn't actually paying attention.  But it seems that you pick the flowers (be sure you are not picking cow parsley) and put it in a container with sugar and (I think) lemon juice.  Only takes a couple of weeks, so considerably quicker than, say, sloe gin[;-)]

Interesting to know it's in Carrefour, Sue!

Mint, my recipe takes only two days. It involves 25 heads of elderflower, sugar, lemons, water and citric acid (the only item that I find increasingly hard to source from a chemist, but I found you can order it from Amazon).

I can't put my hand on the exact recipe at this moment, but I know I have it in the Vendee, so will post it next week.

Angela

Many cocktail recipes use elderflower liqueur rather than the cordial.  A few months ago a friend and I took a cocktail masterclass and tour around the Bombay Sapphire gin distillery in Hampshire, and they used the liqueur in some of their recipes.

The best known brand is 'St-Germain' and is, in fact, French.  You may find it easier to track down the liqueur rather than the cordial.  Incidentally, on the St Germain website, they call it 'delice de sureau'.

To tide you over till next elderflower season, here is a delicious lemonade recipe that my mother used to make for us every summer, and is a staple in our family.

Sorry about the imperial measurements!

2oz citric acid powder.

4 lb granulated sugar

3 lemons

4 oranges

4 pt boiling water

Grate peel and put it in a large bowl with sugar and citric acid. Pour boiling water over it all, and stir to dissolve sugar.

Squeeze the lemons and oranges, and when liquid is cool add the juice to the bowl.

Cover and leave overnight to infuse.

Strain into bottles.

Drink diluted, like a cordial.

It keeps well in a fridge; even better in the freezer (keep it in plastic bottles if you are going to freeze it).

You can vary the amount and proportion of the citrus fruits to taste.

Also good to freeze Loiseau's recipe in an ice cube tray.  Then you can ask, one cube or two; something I am unable to do because I can never remember where the special little sugar container with dinky tongs (reserved specially for guests) is kept[:-))]