Barbecues

woolybanana

Having been partly brought up in the land of the braai, I find barbecues Round here difficult to stomach.

Firstly, the fires are all wrong as the wood used is seldom heated long enough until it is reduced to hot cinders which are suitable for cooking. Rather, the food is chucked on, into the flames until it is thoroughly burnt. Then, undercooked and with a thick layer of soot, it may or may not be eaten as it is too foul, though the dogs do well the next day. Whether the wood smoke and paraffin firelighters have poisoned the food and the eaters......

As to ingredients, what the supermarkets sell is foul, tough beef or pork, often enough on skewers with bits of old veggie, and orange sausages which can only have been excreted by a Dalek. Certainly, the ingredients are bone, gristle, chewed up rejects....

And the whole lot smells FOUL, disgusting, noxious, and even worse the smell drifts across to my garden, polluting the air and my lungs. Disgusting.

The village is presently full of the blo ody things, surrounding my poor little island of peace. Please folks, do it elsewhere of do it properly, and think of your health!

Salmonella generators. Instead cook the food properly indoors then spray with aerosol BBQ flavoured stuff available in all US supermarkets and carry outside. The men can still wear chefs hats and wave things over an unlit BBQ pretending they did the work. If done carefully it can be odor free.

I agree, but I think that bbq's are even worse in England. People, well, men, because I have yet to see a woman actually deal with a bbq here. They say that they know what they are doing and will put meat on when the fire is far from ready.

I just won't eat what they scorch and undercook.

Never really have been a bbq fan. OH now hot smokes and I love the meats and fishes he does.

Spot on WB! Thing is...99% of the time, the 'chef cuisto' has consumed rather more jungle juice than the legal limit to be in control of a car, let alone a cooker! You give them countless books with precise instructions and lots of interesting things to do with courgettes...the result? Well let's just say that even the cats won't touch it! Especially the 'marinaded' dross that les grandes surfaces pass off for consumption.