Writing freelance

Linus

Having only been in France for a few months I was wondering if anyone has had any work published by English language publications, magazines or local newspapers in France.

If anyone knows of any outlets I would appreciate a message.

Linus.

I like to get paid for my work (in fact I rely on it to pay my bills). So that lets out contributions to just about all of the English language magazines and news sheets in France, several of which do not even pay their staff writers.

[quote user="Will"]I like to get paid for my work (in fact I rely on it to pay my bills). So that lets out contributions to just about all of the English language magazines and news sheets in France, several of which do not even pay their staff writers.

[/quote]

No pay, no copy, c'est tout!

I wish I was. I doubt if Heaven will accept me though. Journalists don't have the best reputation - particularly those who are married to estate agents who were formerly tax inspectors.

No, in answer to the question I am on the payroll of a smallish English publisher, who doesn't have a problem with me working in France as well as in England. But I have done plenty of freelancing in the past, including freelancing from France for UK publishers, hence being able to speak with some authority on cross-border working matters. I have done plenty of unpaid work, and still do, as press officer for a charitable organisation. My charitable aims don't extend, unfortunately, to lining the pockets of commercial organisations unless I get my kilogramme du viande.

I believe that if you have a well-known name you can command a small fee from some of the English-language publications in France, but most rely on amateurs wanting to get their name in print.

I go along with what Will says.

My work is book- rather than periodical-related, but I work for various UK publishers from home in both France and the UK, and to be honest if I didn't tell them where I happened to be at the time they would never know, and it doesn't matter. Hurrah for modern technology.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have, and still do work for no money, or prizes.

The way I see it, might as well keep writing and practicing. Also I have picked up the odd commissioned piece from a no fee gig.

In recent years, about 75% of my work has been corporate, either printed lit, or web content. If I go back 10 years it was 75% published and 25% web and corp.

As things stand, there is too much competition, forcing low fees from publishers.

Gotta do something to earn a crust!