The 5 bedroom rule for B&B

somme man

We have bought a 5 bedroomed house that we are going to run a B&B out of.  We are also going to be buying another separate property and are going to rent that out.  I was wondering are the 5 rooms including your own bedroom, so we would have 4 rental rooms but may have a 5th for peak season.  I am thinking of my wifer going AE for the B&B and the other property being under my AE.  Does this sound doable?

You are limited to renting 5 rooms and the maximum amount of people you can accommodate must not exceed 15 people. It must also be your primary residence.

You must also complete a form (I forget the form number but your mayors office will help you) and give it to your mayor, if you hand it back you must get a receipt if you post it back it must be by registered post. You will need a licence to serve drinks, this includes orange juice at breakfast. The licence in normally free but some Duanes charge an admin fee. You must display your tariffs outside the property and in the reception area.

If you want to join a professional organisation like Gite de France or Clevacances and get an official grading you should be aware of the things taken in to account during inspection for the level you will given. If you are resident and complete a French tax return both these organisations may be able to help you financially. Many French people tend to go for B&B's registered with these organisations as they are a mark of quality in France. Being a member means they will keep you informed of all legal changes and supply legal backup if required plus they have things like 'black lists' of people who stay and 'do a runner'.

If you intend to do Table D'hote there are regulations for this also, you must eat at one table, one of the owners must also eat with the guests, you can't offer a menu (special dietary needs the exception).

If you go and visit your local tourist office and tell them what you want to do they will probably fall over themselves to supply all the information you require (positive stroking as they say) and point you in the right direction.

The only negative side is firstly do your research on how many other B&B's there are in your area, what they are charging and then have a look at how many are for sale etc. I say this because in the last 18 months we have lost 5 which is good for me plus one other as we are now the only two left. You won't see much of a return on your money invested for at least 3 years and you really need another job as B&B's don't generally make enough money to totally support you. There is also one 'golden rule', do not under any circumstances borrow any money be it a mortgage or other because there is not enough money in the business to pay it back and of course the income is not constant.

Be aware that Gites are a lot easier to run than B&B's. You are always at your guests beg and call, its very hard work and very long days when in season. A friend of mine came to run our B&B for a couple of weeks outside of the main season, he ran a pub at the time in the UK, he probably saw himself doing breakfast then sitting on the beach for the two weeks, a cheap holiday. When we returned he told us that running his pub was easier and less stressful, he has never offered again.

My final two best tips are firstly location, location, location and secondly do your homework and then do it again to double check.

Thanks for the link Cat.  And thanks for the great info Q.

We have bought our B&B cash, got a bit to invest to get it up to standard.  The location was one of the big things that swung it for us, it is on the crossroads in Aubeterre.  There is only one other B&B in the village and she only does it for pocket money. 

A Gite and a B&B (Chambres D'hotes) are two totally different entities. One is a room with private bathroom (either en-suite) or nearby which is not shared with anyone else and breakfast is included in the price. The other is a self catering holiday home for which there are minimum requirements and will have a separate entrance. So if you have two Gites you need an entrance each.

[quote user="crossy67"]So if we were to have the B&B as our main home and stopped over at the farm occasionally would this be ok?  And if we gave up our room in the B&B for guests during peak times where would we stand?

Bet you are wishing you never answered now eh Q lol.
[/quote]

Dead right, I refer to the answer I gave a minute ago (ask GDF or Clevacances).