Insuring Classics

f1steveuk

Hi, new to the forums, so go gentle!

We moved to Belves, in the Dordogne about two and a half years ago, and I brought my 1996 Ducati Paso with me. I have been told I have to insure it in France as it is ilegal to ride all year on a British policy. Ok, but to do that, it has to be legal for the country it is in, so it will need a TC and to be "converted" to French laws. Problem, as it a "classic" e.g. old, rhd headlights are no longer available, so is there such a thing as a classic bike policy that would ignore that fact, or am I going to have to effect some form of conversion????

If you want to legally ride the bike in France, you'll have to import it and register it here first. Once you've done that, you can organise some French insurance - there are classic bike insurers here.

To register, you'll need to get a type approval certificate (attestation d'identite) from Ducati France S.A. 390 Rue d'Estienne d'Orves, 92701 COLOMBES Cedex.  Tel:  01.56.05.60.00.  You'll also need a quittus fiscale VAT certificate from your local tax office.  Produce your V5C and a utility bill as proof of address and they issue the certificate free of charge.  There's no CT (MOT) for motorcycles in France.

The non availability of old RHD headlamps is immaterial - this is France and they drive on the other side of the road....[;-)]

PS:  The website for the Ducati Club de France is [url=http://www.desmo-net.com/]here[/url].  It has links to three French Ducati forums where you should be able to find advice about classic insurance

BMW France, 3 Ave Ampere, Montigny le Bretonneux, 78886   ST QUENTIN EN YVELINES.  Tel: 01.30.43.93.00

Moto Guzzi France, Z.A. Central Parc â€“ 7, Allee des Grives, 93421  VILLEPINTE Cedex.  Tel:  01.41.51.11.90

A letter like this seems to work quite well...[;-)]

Ref:  (your bike model)

Messieurs,

Je voudrai immatriculer ma moto BMW(or Moto Guzzi) en France et j'ai besoin d'un attestation d'identité.  J'attache une copie de mon certificat d'immatriculation étranger.

Je vous prie d'agréer, Messieurs, l'expression de mes salutations distinguées.

(Signed)

I 'phoned BMW France who were very helpful. They are going to send me the inevitable 'dossier' which I have to complete and return with a copy of the V5 and a declaration from my local dealer stating that the headlight is correct and the speedometer kmh numbers are large enough. The 'atttestation d'identite' itself is supplied free of charge.

I haven't actually spoken to anyone at Moto Guzzi yet but the number has changed to 01.58.74.74.00

Incidently, for those worried about insurance both bikes have been on French insurance for some time with GAN. My agent reminds me every time I renew the insurance that I'm supposed to be importing the bikes. He does say, however, that he only insures me because I have several other vehicles insured with him.

• 2 weeks later...