Property sale - appointing another notaire

boswell

I'm in the process of selling my flat and originally I agreed that the buyer and I would use just one notaire - nominated by them (as it turned out, their family notaire).   Half way through the transaction, both of us having signed the promesse de vente I now find that this was a mistake on my part and I want to appoint an additional notaire to bat for me.  Is this possible at this stage of the proceedings?  Salut, and reply soonest!   Boswell.

Normally when two Notaires work on the same transaction, the work and the fee element of the so-called 'Notaire costs' are divided between them, though in practice one of them will gather all the necessary documents and it would be at his/her office that everything would be signed. Coming-in later in the transaction might be a problem - best to broach the subject with your (chosen) second Notaire. However it is not normally the case that 'your' Notaire is there to 'bat for you' (unlike, say, a solicitor representing one of the parties in a divorce), his role like that of the princpal Notaire is mainly to ensure that the transaction is legal and all taxes are paid. If you feel you need someone to specifically watch over your interests, you might approach another Notaire or even a French 'avocat' experienced in property law, and employ them (at a fee) in this role. If it is a language problem, then clearly someone with a reasonable command of English will be of more help.

Best regards - P-D de R.