Motorcycling & one-man tent

makfai

My son wants to ride his motorcycle down from UK (via the tunnel) to visit us when we are in the Gers later this year.

He wants to make it something of an adventure trip and will be using a one-man tent for accommodation.

Does anyone know of a useful website which would identify possible campsites for single night stays?

Does anyone know if it would be legal for him to camp by the roadside?....Avoiding the ditches of course!

Camping is very well catered for in France, I would suggest he use "Camping Municipale" sites, almost every town has one and we have, in the past, come across motorcycle and cycle campers on them. They often tend to be underused by Brits who seem to have an aversion to "Municipal campsites" as being somehow not quite the "done thing". Usually (not always) close to town facilities for eating etc.

Sounds like these could be the answer. Someone also suggested http://www.campingfrance.com/ so we will also have a look at that. 

As I say, he was also wondering what the position would be if he found a picturesque spot and just fancied setting up camp for the night.  No stoves or fire lighting etc just pitch the tent, a good night's sleep and off to the shop in the morning for the croissant etc!

'Bush' camping is not allowed in France. I gather that the law was introduced because of the French obssession with camp fires which tended to lead to major forest fires in the summer, also their inability to take their litter with them when they leave.

Municipal campsites are in general very good and much cheaper than the commercial equivalents. Space can be a problem in July and August