registering an old bike

bigears

hi

is there any chance of registering a motorbike here that is almost of classic status (24 years).  It was never sold as such on the continent,  it is a special edition for the domestic japanese market, speedo in km..  I gather when it is 25 years old (from manufacture or first registration?) it can be registered as a classic with limitations on how far afield you can travel.   I have not yet bought the bike, just thinking about it, I don't know if I could live with the geographic restrictions placed on classic bikes.  The alternative is to just buy a bike here in france.  I want a tourer that we can go camping with,  anyone know what deauvilles are like?  A maxi scooter might be the answer,  any advice would be appreciated.

The conditions for registering a voiture de collection are changing on 1 January 2008 to co-incide with the introduction of the new 'for life' S.I.V registration numbers (systeme d'immatriculation des vehicules).

The terms agreed between the government and the FFVE are as follows:

To qualify for classic status, vehicles must be over 30 years of age (from date of first registration) and for personal use only.

Departmental travel restrictions are to be lifted allowing driving anywhere on French national territory..

As well as requiring a new CT certificate for initial registration as a classic, vehicles will now be subject to a five yearly CT inspection.  (Not applicable to bikes)

Vehicles may display their new S.I.V registration number on black and white plates of the same style as their original plates at the time of first registration.

To be honest, it'd be easier to just buy a French bike.  The Deauville is a competent tourer, as is the BMW RT, the Yamaha FJR1300 and the Honda ST1300 Pan European. Not sure whether a maxi scooter has the capabilty of adding panniers to increase luggage capacity for touring... 

[quote user="bigears"]...  anyone know what deauvilles are like?[/quote]

Relatively heavy and somewhat underpowered, especially for two-up camping.  A lower cost option, though.

[quote user="bigears"]A maxi scooter might be the answer,  any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Probably has more luggage capacity than the Deauville, as standard.

As an opinion with bias, I'd recommend a BMW RT ...[;-)]

went out today and ordered a suzuki burgman 400 with a top box.  Altogether it has 62 + 46 + 10 = 118 litres of storage, the wife can always carry a small rucksack.  We have light weight camping gears so we will see how it goes for touring, if it doesn't work out I'll buy something different.  I cannot be bothered to change gear nowadays.  The old bike I  was considering was

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160137472002&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=190130682565&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

If you take a look at ebay.fr and go to the motos section, you will find that you can buy old Honda Goldwings with the 1000 or 1100cc engine for around 2000 euro. That way you would get a cheap but capable tourer without any registration hassle.