Need to register my bike in France

Cookie

Bringing my bike over this summer would like to register it in France ready for when we move at the end of 2009ish... How do I go about it is it difficult & how much will it cost?

It's a 2007 Yamaha FZ1 an american import from Taz Motorcycles in Peterborough will this be a problem?

Cheers

Cookie

US specification machines will always be problematic because they don't comply with the European technical and safety standards necessary for France.

Your first step should be to contact Yamaha France and request an attestation de non-confomité.  If you are lucky, you'll get one and it'll detail all the non-compliant parts of the bike that you will have to change in order to get it approved.

Once you have an idea of the cost/hassle involved, you'll have the opportunity to reconsider bringing the bike over here....

Thanks for your replies

The bike is UK spec no different to a UK model, think taz must have imported them when the dollar was weak making them slightly cheaper, I will give them a call see if they have any suggestions.  I see what your saying though it could get complicated pity really as I love the bike but guess I could get the same in France. Might start looking in the spring do you know of any French Yamaha dealership sites that are in english so I can check out prices?

Cheers

Cookie

You don't say where you live Cookie, which would help if you want details of a dealer in your area.

We have a really good dealer in Poitiers for example..........."Lacroix"

I gave up on importing my Triumph and have now had two 'french' bikes. It saves the hassle and cost of getting them converted and you are safe in the knowledge that what you are riding is completely legal.

There are 'grey' areas in that since 2004 (I think) most bikes sold in Europe come with a european certificate of conformity. I say most because when I bought my new bike this year I enquired with Triumph UK and they do not, their CoC's are country specific.

Good luck with it.

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gary

My place is in Chabanais near Limoge not that far from Poiters.  I have spoken to Taz who told me the bike should have came with COC it's a 2007 model I bought in April this year, I'm going to contact the previous owner to see if he has it if not I'm buggered as you can't get a replacement.

Even so I think you are probably right perhaps sell mine in the spring then buy another in France I guess bike prices are about the same as the UK are they like cars in France they really seem to fetch good money second hand much more the the UK

Has Lacroix got a website?

Snowing in East Anglia today so I'm goin down the pub!

Cheers

Cookie