COC Honda

elamessa

I went to the Prefecture at Limoges to register my ST1300 Pan armed with all the documentation and having spent 4 hours in the queue eventually made it to the counter only to be told that there was a problem with the type number on the COC from Honda UK. The COC is listing the 'e1*92/61*0147*03' along with the VIN No and dated and signed.

Not very happy left with my tail between my legs.

On returning home I contacted Honda UK and told them the problem, they told me that this was the correct document and that is what they send out to all customers who want to register in europe..

I highlighted the correct type numbers on the document and went back to the Prefecture only to find that the computers were down and had to leave the documentation with them.

Today in the post I received the documentation back stating that "there is a problem with the type number and to contact le constructeur..

Just want to know if there is any other form of attack I can take before I contact Honda Europe regarding this problem..

STeve

That type number might be a ST1300 supplied to the UK market with full power. The French version with a power restriction might be a different type number, so the UK one may not be on their database. If this is the case then you are going to have to pay Honda France and visit the Drire after having the power restricted.

I might also be wrong and they are not trying the correct number on the CofC.

I don't know what the history of your bike is, but there may well be an error in the type approval number on the Honda CoC.

The number following the letter 'e' signifies the EU member state in which the bike was originally approved.

e1 = Germany

e11= United Kingdom

I wonder if they've typed it incorrectly and omitted the second '1'......[Www]

It could well be that Pans destined for the European market were EU type improved in Germany, regardless of their final country of destination.  The rest of the number looks kosher - 92/61 is the original EU type approval directive and 0147/03 is one of the later revisions (for sidestand design).

Regardless of which country does the original approval, details are circulated to all other EU member states so that the approval can be recognised throughout Europe. In the case of France, Honda notify the DRIRE Ile de France who load the bike's technical details into the centre national de réception des véhicules (CNRV) database which is searchable by the type approval number.  That's where the information comes from when the prefecture clerk types in the e* number and hits the button to populate the carte grise record.

No-one's ever reported a problem registering an ST1300, so the system seems to work - except in your case somehow.....

I can only suggest you get back onto Honda UK and see if they can offer any suggestions.

Ok Update on the above.

Spoken to Honda UK who asked me to email copy of COC to check out that there is no problem with type numbers etc.

Would it be possible to use another Prefecture to eliminate that the problem could be with Limoges prefecture. I am equi distance from Poitiers and with registeration being national and not regional now would be a problem?

STeve

You can now use any prefecture to register your imported bike, but as Poitiers would use the same data from the CoC to access the same database as Limoges, then I suspect that would be a waste of time.

I'd be inclined to ask Honda UK if they could contact Honda France for the French CNIT number for your particular model. The CNIT number contains the standard type/variant information and is an alternative search item for the French vehicles database.  If that is the case, they might be prepared to issue you with a fresh CoC showing the CNIT number.....

Have received a reply from Honda UK

"As I understand, the CNIT number given by Honda

France is a number given out once the motorcycle has been modified to French

Specifications by a Honda dealer in France. As this is the case, we are unable

to supply this number from Honda UK and would be something you'd need to arrange

with Honda France."

So basically I seem to have come up against the proverbial wall, at least Honda were quick with their reply. Think I'll go and sit in a darkened room...........[+o(]

Sounds like Honda UK haven't a clue, bless 'em....

The CNIT number is allocated by the French authorities to every vehicle which has EU type approval.  Your bike does, therefore it does not have to be modified to match the French specification.  You want the CNIT number for your EU approved UK spec bike, not the one for a French spec bike.

But, that's all a bit academic and not helping your situation.  I can only suggest you contact your local French Honda dealer for some assistance on this. At least you're now familiar with the 'jargon' and can explain your situation reasonably clearly.....

I had a problem in getting the carte grise for my camping car amended (Mercedes Benz omitted to include the gross train weight on their CoC which meant I couldn't tow my bike).  Mercedes Benz France were pi**ing me about asking for conformity certificates for my tow bar (it was a factory fitted item!) so I enlisted the help of my friendly Mercedes Truck dealer and they got their MD to sign an attestation which was acceptable to the prefecture.

What is more annoying is that Honda UK is actually in the same building as Honda Europe so you would think that someone somewhere would try and get things sorted. Oh well they have had my money.........[:P]

Will go down the dealer route and see if I can pursuade him to assist.

Thanks for you input it is much appreciated.

STeve

• 2 months later...
The saga continues. Having visited my local Honda dealer about the situation he advised me to write to Honda France asking them what I need to do about registering the Pan in France.

So I wrote to them and said that I had now moved to France full time and I had brought my ST1300A with me from the UK and could you please let me know what I need to do to re-register the bike in France, I enclosed a copy of the V5 and sent it off.

This morning I receive a letter from them stating.

"Following your letter relating to the vehicle in question

refers, we regret to inform you that this model has not been

type-approved in France and not in compliance with French regulations,

including the matter of power.

That Honda

motorcycle to a higher power to 100 horses allowed in France.

Accordingly,

we strongly advise you not to bring this car in France
."

As you can see not very helpful from Honda France.

Do you think it would be better if I asked a Honda Dealer to reduce the power output of my bike and then get them to sign an attestation stating the fact and then try Honda again?

I know this will cost me but not as much as purchasing another bike.

STeve

As discussed previously, Honda UK are required to provide you with an EU certificate of conformity which is valid for registration in France. The fact that it isn't is down to them as clearly some 'black hole' has appeared in the process.  It is unlikely that France has decided to no longer accept EU certificates of conformity for imported >106bhp bikes, because that would be contrary to EU legislation.

Neither Honda UK or France seem prepared to put themselves out to help you, so it would seem the only solution is to have the bike restricted and re-apply to Honda France. 

I suggest you set things up first by obtaining assurance from Honda France that they will issue their certificate against the dealer's attestation.

The last ST1300 on this forum belonged to Gail Smith and that was back in October 2006.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/7/772734/ShowPost.aspx#772734

YESSSSSSS! RESULT!!!!

Went to the Hotel d'Impots and then The Prefecture this morning and came home before lunch with a French Number plate for the ST1300!!!

No power restrictions..as simple as that.

The nice lady at the prefecture put my bike through on 'puissance fiscal' of 12cv. Its there in black and white on the Carte Grise.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advise and especially to Sunday Driver whose definitive list of what to take with me today made it all go so smoothly.

Off to burn my UK plates now!

mike

Sorry to rub it in, but they were clearly very happy with the outcome......[:D][:D]

Have just spoken to Mr Smith about his trip to the Prefecture.  Seems he was very lucky because he has had problems registering his new bike with them. I asked if he had kept a copy of his COC but unfortunately he said that went with the bike when he sold it.[6]

He also said that they have had a complete computer revamp since he registered his Pan.[:'(]

Onwards and upwards......[:)][:)]