Anyone like to see pics not from France?

majr

[quote user="majr"]

This might be interesting to some of you, we are in the middle of a very bad storm here at the moment, happens a lot, very high winds and driving snow. 3 weeks ago we had quite a bad one and the Chef here, Ant, made a short film of what it's like. You really need to have the volume up to get the idea, it's filmed in the day but is still very dark. It shows us going out to dig snow into the melt tank for water, it's quite good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smgGCvMTG5M&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eteeks%2Eorg%2F
Either click on that or paste it into your browser, it's 4 mins long.
Have a good day everyone.
Mat

Link made live

[/quote]

Hi Mat!

I've just watched the video and at first I thought it was Just Katie's back garden on a Friday night!  She's a friend of mine who uses this forum and lives in Wales.  The weather there is quite similar to where you are - and that's just in the summer!

I'm kidding really[:)]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to your songs and first impressions were David Gray..... then I saw that he's an influence so......you already knew that[:)]

Lovely voice.  Technically the guitar needs another winter or two[;-)]  The feeling is there though so that more than makes up. You're a kind of James Blunt who went to the Antartic instead of the Army - I wish you plenty of success in whatever you decide to do.

I see you like Damien Rice too,  so here's 9 minutes of joy if you haven't already seen and heard this version of  'I Remember'.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=GF7RTv2xdjY

Hello!

Sorry I've been lacking in Internet time recently, very busy time of the year here with science projects going on and the imminent arrival of all the summer people just 6 weeks away!

Thanks for all the comments, I've added a couple more pictures for you to see below, I have a few hundred of the penguins but not had chance to sort them all out yet. In reply to a fe of the questions, no the penguins don't mind us at all, we approach to within 5m or so then let them decide how close they want to come. The younger adults are very inquisitive and once I lay down on the ice I was surrounded very quickly by 20-30 adults all that came within a couple of meters and sat there quite happy as I took pictures. The adults with chicks tend to huddle together a bit more so I didn't get chance to photograph many. Next time I go the chicks will be fairly big and they become very inquisitive too and will surround anyone who comes along.

Thanks for the comments about my music twinkle, I'm not a musician at all, I brought a guitar when I came down here 2 years ago and have taught myself, I have more enthusiasm than talent! I wrote a song a year ago just to see if I could and have now writen 11, they are just messing about and I have an intense fear of performing infront of anyone so doubt I will carry it on when I leave here. Thanks for the Damien Rice link, superb stuff although the James Blunt connection I will pass on, can't stand him! haha!

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's a couple of pics.

This gives you an idea of where they are, the ice cliffs behind are the edge of the ice shelf and the penguins are living on sea ice.

[img]http://www.uncletravellingmat.com/d/1405-2/emp-113.jpg[/img]

I like this one, just a few standing on the ice, looks good at full resolution.

[img]http://www.uncletravellingmat.com/d/1429-2/emp-17.jpg[/img]

This is how they gather around when you sit on the ice.

[img]http://www.uncletravellingmat.com/d/1445-2/emp-47.jpg[/img]

Hi!

Nice to see you back.  Sorry I upset you with the James Blunt reference.  I was really refering to the fact that he went to Kosovo and wrote his album there and you are in the Antartic and may also have a hit album in the making!  You shouldn't underestimate your talent and I think it would be such a shame if you stopped making music when you leave 'Planet Ice'!  Actually that would be a good title for your album[:)] 

Okay I'll stop[:D]

The penguin photos are amazing - I'd give anything to see them that close in their original habitat.  I saw the film 'La Marche de l'Empereur' by Luc Jacquet and it really moved me.  Have you seen it?  The music is fantastic and was composed by a French girl Emilie Simon. There is an American version of the film also but they didn't keep original score which is such a shame.

I'm sure you've seen it Mat but here's a link for those of you interested.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDc3-0gkew&mode=related&search=

No use trying to dig yourself out of the James Blunt hole there Twinkle, the damage is done. I managed to download the Damien Rice video, are you a fan? I have to say that it's incredible stuff, would love to get that much passion into music.

I'm glad you like the pictures, it really is an amazing thing to see, not many get the chance infact you really have to do a season here to see them properly, it's a nice bonus after a long winter. We have a copy of the American version of March of the Emperors but it's got a terrible voice over, will have to listen to the French version, thanks for the link!

Mat.

Hi Mat. The photos are lovely and it's nice to see that there is some wild life on the planet that is not terrified of mankind! It shows that it is possible..

A question if I may? Do you use any solar power for heating there? In the summer of course!![:-))] Bit dark otherwise. If so what stuff do you use?? And how efficient is it? If not then how do you heat water being as everything has to be shipped in?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hi Mat. The photos are lovely and it's nice to see that there is some wild life on the planet that is not terrified of mankind! It shows that it is possible..

A question if I may? Do you use any solar power for heating there? In the summer of course!![:-))] Bit dark otherwise. If so what stuff do you use?? And how efficient is it? If not then how do you heat water being as everything has to be shipped in?

[/quote]

Hi John.

We don't use solar power for heating, we do use it for battery charging and for running scientific projects that got deployed into the field and left to collect there data. We have a couple of small panels that charge batteries that are used to power fuel pumps and things like that. Main water heating on the base is done with large boilers that run off Avtur and we also make use of waste energy from the generators that supply power, the exhausts are used to heat air for the main building. This is an old base now, work starts in the summer on Halley 6 which will be a posh new base utilising wind and solar power as well as much more modern techniques for producing and maintaining energy.

Mat.

Yes - be quiet Just Katie!

I'm a fan of Damien Rice yes.  I got to see him in Lyon, unfortunately Lisa Hanlon was ill and wasn't singing that night.  Never mind - next time!

I really like David Grey too and saw him in Cardiff in 2005.  I loved his musiciens and the whole stage set-up.  What class.  I thought he was going to shake his head of though[:)]

I love 'Alibi' from the 'Life in Slow Motion' album and when he started the concert with this song I went crazy!

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=L_9ttLGu7ME

Edited to add link.

Was the sun shining to-day?

I think that's told her Twinkle.

I haven't seen any live music for ages, really miss it actually, shame Lisa whatsername wasn't singing, she makes Damien Rice for me. I haven't listened much to either him or David Gray recently but did today and "O" and White Ladder are albums I think I could listen to anytime. I'm always on the look out for good music, here's a few you may or may not know, Ane Brun, what an amazing voice, A Temporary Dive is a superb album, also try Clayhill, they have an album called Small Circle, the acoustic version is amazing, it's on a lot at the mo. Do you know Kelly Joe Phellps? Or Ben Harper? I like there style of lap steel guitar and I'm going to learn to play when I get back, love that sound. Anyway, I'm rambling. It was a rubbish day to start with, strong winds and no contract at all but brightened up this afternoon and stayed around -30ish so not too bad, how was your day? Summer over?

Have a nice evening.

Mat.

I've only heard Ben Harper - but I will check out the other artists you mentioned. 'O' is one of the most important albums in my life. When I'm feeling homesick I stick  'White ladder' on it's like all my best friends are with me.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf51JmJAE4&mode=related&search=

The sounds not very good.  Weather here was very muggy and hot this morning an then the inevitable storm came at around 6pm.  I was driving back from the shops and it was like being caught up in a scene from 'The Wizard of Oz'!

Morning!

It's a beautiful day here, quite cold but nice clear skies.

I agree Twinkle, White Ladder holds great memories, as does Lost Songs, I was given that album on a trip through Nepal, when I hear it now I can actually taste the Nepal air, sounds daft I know.

What do you do in France Twinkle?

Mat.

Hi Mat, 

We have not hit winter yet but the mornings feel very autumnal.  Remember the crispness in the air when you walked to school at the beginning of September in new shoes?

The sun is shining and the sky is blue.

Twinkle singing?  I am sure if you ask her she will email something over to you.  I dont think she takes much persuading.

I cannot believe you are in Antartica.  Did you go with Thompsons?