I need help with Photoshop printing

Toodlepips

Are there any Photoshop experts out there please?

I want to print some photos out, of differing sizes, on the same sheet..... for instance, one of the ones I want to print  (on a landscape layout) is ...

a portrait photo on the left hand side with two landscape photos filling the same size space down the right hand size

Another print I want to do isof  three portrait photos next to each other on the same sheeet

Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Try this (and this is based on Photoshop CS2 - if you have another version I can't be sure it would work but it probably would).

Go to FILE>> NEW

and define the paper size you want to use... eg. A4

Open the first image you want to use.

Select the MOVE TOOL (V on your keyboard)

Click onto the image and drag it onto the NEW blank page. To resize it simply drag the corner anchors whilst keeping the Shift key depressed. this will maintain the correct aspect ratio. When you are done hit ENTER.

Repeat this with the other images you want to use.

If you have your LAYERS PALETTE open you will see the bottom layer is your NEW blank layer.

Above it will be each of your new images in their own seperate layer.

If you need to reorganise their position simply click on the correct layer in the LAYERS PALETTE and with the MOVE TOOL selected click on the relevant image and drag it to where you want it.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure that what Derek says will work, but I would use Photoshop for editing, retouching, enhancing etc then use QuarkXpress to combine them on a page (at least that's how we do it in proper magazine production). I am sure other programs like MS Publisher, or even Word, can be used for this comparatively simple task.

Elements is a cheaper, non-professional, version of Photoshop. It has nearly all the features of the full program, the main difference being the fact that it will not work with CMYK (which is only really a problem if involved in four-colour printing, e.g. magazine etc production). There are some editing functions that work differently - I think you need to use the 'resize' option in the 'image' menu. If you make sure 'constrain proportions' is ticked it will maintain the aspect ratios.

Try this....

Once you've dragged the image into the NEW document....

click on the Layer (in the Layers Palette) of the image you want to resize....

Go to EDIT >> TRANSFORM >> SCALE

You should see the corner resizing handles which you can pull in/out to resize.  See if that works but keep the SHIFT key depressed so that the aspect ratio gets maintained.

Although Will is right that you can resize BEFORE dragging into your NEW document, it's kind of easier to work out the size with it all laid out on the page.

Btw. To make your LAYERS PALETTE visable hit F7.

Make sure you have the right LAYER selected before you try and resize. If the BACKGROUND LAYER is the one selected you won't be able to to the "drag the handles" resize.

If you have started with

1. NEW LAYER - this will show in the LAYERS PALETTE as the BACKGROUND layer.

Once you've dragged an image into this file it will sit above the BACKGROUND and be called LAYER 1 unless you rename it.

Subsequent image layers will be Layer 2, 3 etc