Bartop Lacquer

mark and sacha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I don't yet live in France - so I can't help you find somewhere to buy anything.

What I can do is suggest you look at a product called 'Coelan'.  It's a german product (made in a town of the same name), and it is used a lot in the marine world (thats how I know of it).

It's not cheap, but I don't think you will need a lot to do a bar-top.

It's not nice to use - you need to do any sorts of clean-ups using acetone (They can provide you with 'special' thinners, but it's still acetone) - forget about cleaning brushes, it's too difficult.

It gets worse - if you dribble any of the product over the rim of the tin, and then put the lid back on, you will find it extremely difficult to get the lid off again.  A good tip is to cover the lid in clingfilm before you put it back on.  It cures in contact with water molecules in the air, the manufacturers suggest you blow a hot air gun into the opened tin immediately before replacing the lid.  This will help to stop it curing into a solid mass inside the tin. You MUST wear protective gloves!!!!!

Thats about it for the negative, the positive is that it is not really a varnish, but a plastic coating.  We have had it on our mast/boom and bowsprit for more than 3 years, and not recoated, and it still is very good.  On a bar, you should probably consider giving it a rub down and re-coat every year or two, but it does seem to be extremely resilient against normal wear and tear.  There is info on the web - but I think most of it is in German.  How's your German?  Mine is non-existant, but I got some info - I think it was from 'Penguin Marine' somewhere around Hampshire, which you might want to take a look at.  You will be able to buy it on a mail-order basis from Penguin.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Good luck,

Austin