Sources for pine

Graye

We are about to move to the Dordogne and one of our first urgent requirements will be book-shelving for our huge store of books.

We would prefer old pine in longer lengths of about 9" or10" wide x 1" thick but could almost certainly "age" some newer stuff to work almost as well.  We are not sure whether to buy it in the UK and bring it with us or whether it is something easily available in France.  Also, is wood generally more expensive in France?

Does anyone have any ideas for sources and prices please?

Hi Graye

Wood can be expensive here, but saying that I haven't brought any in the UK for a few years, so its hard to compare, in general straight rough sawn is very cheap even big lumps of oak are cheap if you know where to go ! but it takes some cleaning up.

The other thing which is real strange here is normal plained wood is only plained on two sides the other two are left rough. this is quite expensive about the same as UK full plained.

full plained: last time I brought this it was a silly price, even in the bricos the prices from rough to semi plained to full plained jump up a lot.

I know this don't really help you, but if I have access to a van and a cheap boat ticket, I know what I would do.

And welcome to the Dordogne, I'm sure your love it  [:)]

• 2 weeks later...

Just browsing and spotted your post. I would not dream of bringing wood to France. There are salvage yards around for old pine. All sorts of wood can be ridiculously cheap here. The secret is to go straight to a timberyard. In my experience they are always friendly and accomodating. They generally work out the price based on a cubic metre. I have used a yard in  Segonzac near south of Riberac which were very good but maybe not near you. I purchased c grade chestnut tongued and grooved floorboards for 14 euros per sq m. Preferably just find the old yard in the woods near wherever you are. Good luck.