Blind joints - table legs

ernie

Hi, I hope this “Working with wood” is still up and running …

I’m repairing a sort of hall table, it’s a nice littl;em piece, a low-priced reproduction of Country Cape cottage style.  It has solid, turned wooden legs at each corner, with a sort of lower shelf or platform about 10 cm off the ground.  It was joined to each leg by pins, invisible from the leg – or anywhere else.  To refit it like that is quite beyond me, all I can manage is to glue the four corners of the tray, which is shaped and fairly weighty, to the legs.

Not sure if this would be strong enough ?

If anyone has an idea of how to approach this tricky task, I would be most grateful.  I could send some pics if that would help.  Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JonzJob,

I have uploaded some pics to Photobucket : http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/lotolucket/library/Table, maybe you can look at them, it should not be password protected, if I have clciked correctly.  I think this will work ...  If not, perhaps you can let me have an address where I can send ?

You will note the unusual way of fixing the lower "shelf" by a sort of blind pinning method, as I can perceive the small holes opposite the protruding pins, which seem to have been filled with Brummer stopping.  It would be a very delicate operation to remove them, I may end up by screwing and filling ...

The damage was caused by the removers, nothing unusual there.

Any suggestions you might have would be much apreciated, the table is an "authentic copy" of Cape Dutch style, with little intrinsic value but much sentimemntal value.  I thank you for your time already.

Regards from Ernie

Ta for the photos. It seems strange that there is a shelf that close to the floor? Is it original or a modification?

It would be more normal in my  mind if the original fitting there was a stretcher type arrangement as you get on a chair. I have had a look, via google, at several Cape Dutch style tables and didn't see any with either a shelf at the bottom or stretchers.

Is it possible to flex the legs outward at all? It may be possible as it is so low down. If you can then short pins could be inserted. If not then it would probably mean removing the 2 rear legs so as to be able to fit the pins. It depends how the legs are fitted as to if that would be possible?

It could be possible to use 2 dowels at the front and 2 short dowels at the rear. By placing the 2 fronts in place with the 2 short dowels sticking out about 1/4", or maybe a little shorter, it may be possible to fit the front and ease the rear into place. You will have to be very careful about the dowel hole placings though. That should easily be strong enough for a table like yours.

Sorry if it sounds a bit of an odd description, but if you need any further explanation?? I'll try ?

Ta for the photos. It seems strange that there is a shelf that close to the floor? Is it original or a modification?

It’s original and, while unusual, is not uncommon.  I have one or two pics in a book “”Cottage Furniture in south Africa with similar”.  Good for boots and shoes and the odd wine bottle I suppose.

When you say “stretcher” do you mean wood or riempies *thongs) ?  In any case, I would like to have it back as it was.

It would be more normal in my  mind if the original fitting there was a stretcher type arrangement as you get on a chair. I have had a look, via google, at several Cape Dutch style tables and didn't see any with either a shelf at the bottom or stretchers.

Is it possible to flex the legs outward at all? It may be possible as it is so low down. If you can then short pins could be inserted. If not then it would probably mean removing the 2 rear legs so as to be able to fit the pins. It depends how the legs are fitted as to if that would be possible?

Stretching the legs would probably induce some damage, so I’m not keen on that  Maybe I could wiggle/waggle the rear two out as you suggest.  For this, I need time and I’m busy on a suddenly arrived project just now, but it seems a good idea and less labour-intensive.

It could be possible to use 2 dowels at the front and 2 short dowels at the rear. By placing the 2 fronts in place with the 2 short dowels sticking out about 1/4", or maybe a little shorter, it may be possible to fit the front and ease the rear into place. You will have to be very careful about the dowel hole placings though. That should easily be strong enough for a table like yours.

This dowel idea is a very good one, small dowels I guess, which would be hidden.  I will come back to you, if I may ?

Sorry if it sounds a bit of an odd description, but if you need any further explanation?? I'll try ?

Looking at your work on PhotoB … I have much to learn.

Again, my sincere thanks for your analysis and suggestions, it is very kind and I promise to get back to you.

Kind regards from Ernie

Ernie, you are very welcome and if you have any ideas then just yell.

I am very much an amateur and not too much practice in joinery, but just a love of wood. If anyone ever tells you that they were born knowing anything they are telling 'porkies'. We all have to learn and the only daft question is the one you can't find an answer for and don't ask!!

So keep on asking and learn from the answers [:D]