18th and 19th Century Samplers

My hobby is 18th and 19th century samplers design kits, but our walls and loft are full of my work. 

Does any one have a similar hobby? are there any groups/college courses etc near Cahors? Do you know where I can buy the finest high count linen in the South of France?.

I don't do sampler kits, but do love embroidery and counted cross stitch, although I am not as prolific as you! At the moment I am working on a map of  Norfolk (where we lived in the UK), but it tends to be more a winter thing as I am outside tending the garden in the summer.

Sorry I can't help with your query re groups, but regards the linen have you tried finding a fabrics/craft shop in Cahors (perhaps look in Pages Jaunes). I know you can buy it in Brive, but rather a long way from you!

• 1 month later...
I do lots of needlework - whitework, hardanger / drawn / pulled thread work, stumpwork, goldwork, needlepainting, beadwork - mixing in hand made felt, painted silk, applique etc - even did some exhibition embroidery. So a definite fellow addict here!  I'm trying to be practical atm and make quilts for our house!

I was just reading Chris's thread on crafts and the problem of pricing what you do - personally I don't think that anyone who doesn't do this kind of stuff has any idea of the hours involved - if you charged by the hour no one would pay.  But then I generally give things to friends who I know will appreciate them.(and also have hoards of stuff in cupboards! - finished and unfinished pieces, things I bought that I thought were beautiful and inspiring that I will use one day - other stuff that I don't know why the heck I'm keeping - but don't tell MOH that or he will be taking it all to the skip ;)   I also do cake icing and I have the same problem there - if I charged an hourly rate you'd choke on it - so now I tend to make cakes mainly for friends and family.

If you are near to Perigueux, Sunshine, then there is a shop just around the corner from the France Telecom shop.  Otherwise, have you tried the Cross Stitch Guild - they have on online shop that sells linen for cross stitch /counted thread work and delivers outside the UK.

Kathie

I used to live near Perigueux, never knew about the shop you mentioned but know the area you mean.

I still have friends there so I will look the next time I am there.

I have bought over the internet before but I like to see and touch the linen especially as it can be so expensive. 

There is a sewing group which I am about to join in October sounds like a good opportunity for more shopping and ideas!