Auctions

I enjoy the usual Vide Greniers etc but would also like to go to 'household' auctions, but do not know where to find them.

I went to one advertised in our local tourist office but it looked as though it had already been picked over before the sale.

I have been told that only those in the brocante business are told of future sales.

Any thoughts?

Hi Sunshine,

it may be a bit of a journey for you but I found this in Sarlat, looks like they may have a sale on the 28th January. I will ask my neighbour as he works in Sarlat as a furniture restorer so he may know if the info about such sales is given out to the pro's before it is advertised. I will post back on here asap.

http://www.interencheres.com/ventes_aux_encheres/etude.php?clef_etude=24003

best regards

Dave

They are advertised every week in our local paper, the Manche Libre, which includes those in neighbouring depts. I am sure other papers will do likewise. Look for Ventes aux Enchères, or a picture of a hammer. Most sales are held at the salerooms, though often, if selling the assets of a business or the equipment from a farm for example, the auctioneer will operate on site. The travelling ones, in particular, are well worth a visit. 90% rubbish, as is usual in France (at one we went to everybody seemed to be buying really tatty horse collars and small rolls of rusty barbed wire at ridiculously high prices) but you can certainly get some really good buys.

The House contents sales we have attended have been advertised in  the weekend edition of Ouest France. Haven't seen any for some time,used to be quite a few  3-4 years ago. Sometimes the Notaires only seem to post them on their boards. The biggest problem when you go is they don't seem to have lot numbers so you haven't any idea what order items are going to be sold in. One we went to was an all day affair and it seems the order of the day was to take your own chair,sit in the garden and enjoy what was going on. The last one was the contents of a house in one of the narrow streets of Cancale,although the crowd blocked the street off for through traffic, no one complained or even sounded a car horn.

On a similar thread, I wonders what the situation was with a yard sale? I often see people advertising one day yard sales but was once told by the local gendarme that you had to employ a hussier to sell the items. I did wonder if this only applied to items if they were auctioned but not if they had a price attached?

I could do with some enlightenment on the subject, and plenty of other things too.

Regards. 5 Mins St.Malo

Many thanks for all your replys.  I thought it was some secret squirrell thing.  If its a secret I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!... I'm not a shopper honest!

I have never seen the papers mentioned but I will be off to the TABAC to get my papers for a peek.

Happy Auctions!

[quote user="Dave"]Hi Sunshine,
 it may be a bit of a journey for you but I found this in Sarlat, looks like they may have a sale on the 28th January. I will ask my neighbour as he works in Sarlat as a furniture restorer so he may know if the info about such sales is given out to the pro's before it is advertised. I will post back on here asap.

http://www.interencheres.com/ventes_aux_encheres/etude.php?clef_etude=24003

best regards

Dave
[/quote]

Dave

What a great web site thank you very much

Sunshine

• 4 weeks later...

Every July, in La Mothe St Héray, in the Deux-Sèvres, there is a large weekend brocante. For the last two years, the town has organised an auction (followed by bar-b-q and dance) on the Saturday night at the Orangerie, one of the town's restored historical buildings.   The prices achieved are ridiculously low; I just wish we had a bigger house.   It's worth a visit if you're not too far away.

I'll post a reminder nearer the time.