Antique Furniture

Any furniture experts out there? What are the signs of age and quality in french furniture and are there any differences in construction techniques to english furniiture from a similar date?  Is it 'what you see is what you get'? I don't mean the high end of the market but your basic farmhouse armoires, tables, chairs and benches etc. Is there any literature out there on the subject? 

I have a very good old French book on the subject but having been in the antique/furniture game for some years,now finished,[like the Antique Trade ], the French tradesmen seem to be able to make/copy all styles of making and use old timber/armoires etc to construct anything. If you go to a few Depot-Vents in different areas, you will find the same distressed furniture items for sale.  In many cases the re-pro is more usable/practical and of course, should be priced much cheaper.

Bonne Chance.

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom Gastines. I detect the experience of many years in the trade. I know it snobbish of me but I just shudder at the thought of fake wood worm holes and polyeurothane (spelling?) varnish. I'd take an honest modern piece of well made furniture any day. Could you give me the details of your trusty manual and maybe I can hunt down a copy for myself. I love old, functional furniture but would like to acquire a more educated eye.