Paint Names

wallifer

There are several Kitchen & Bathroom paints around but I haven't seen silk paint here, only satin, easily identifies by 'Cuisines/Salles de bain-satine'

Exterior undercoat is sous-couche/exterieur,making sure it's either wood,metal or generalpurpose.

Gloss is termed as Glycero-brillant

As they all come under the general heading of  'expensive cr*p', my advice would be to get some English paint.

As you are in the South I would be careful if you are going to use paint that is formulated for the British weather. The paint here is formulated to take what the sun gives. It may not be as cheep (only budgies go cheep) as the U.K. but at least it works here.

The paint that I have bought here is OK. So it's more expensive, but not as expensive as a trip back to a place that we have no real interest in going back to anyway. Go for broke and buy some of the better French paint and drive yourself back to sanity... Why not [:D]

That has been a worry for me especially for the gloss exterior paint, as our summer are very hot and I don't fancy having to do the windows every year and I would prefer silk emulsion as it gives a nicer finish but if it is not available I will have to make do with matt.

hi, just a note to let you know we have used the 'Cuisines/Salles de bain-satine' from brico-depot at about 14 euros for 2.5 litres (in a limited range of colours) and it has worked really well and does give a nice satine finish.......so far it has been hardwaring and wipeable.

we have also used exterior brillant from brico and found it very durable and protective (with sous-couch for preparation).........i think if you are living in france you have to take the plunge and buy the paint here at some point.......give it a go it may surprise you. mel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add...

Vinyl silk...........acrylic satin

Vinyl matt..........acrylic matt

Non drip gloss.. is a lazy man's product and not really generally used  in France

Branded French paint is of good quality just the same as paint bought in Britain, but more suitable for the climate and building materials and methods here in France. Needless to say if you buy the cheap stuff the quality may not be great, just the same as in Britain.

Aly

• 2 weeks later...