Coffee Makers

Rose

Sorry to pour cold water on the good people who have purchased 'Nespresso' machines.  Nestle have had a bad reputation for years because of their poor behaviour in developing countries.  Not least - marketing baby milk to breast feeding mothers who can not only ill afford to buy it but also are unable to sterilise the bottles efficiently.  The WHO has quite a lot to say about this.........however, if you want to read more  about their reputation with coffee...    http://redpepper.blogs.com/news/2005/10/fairtrade_nestl.html

Hi All

I am sure I have seen a pod for the Nespresso machines that you can refill at one of the hyper's but cannot remember which one, might be an idea to have a search could save you loads.

I'm afraid I have gone back to the top of the stove italian perc model as I kill the electric ones with the amount of coffee I drink, the machine is on all day .

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Pink"]Dear all - thank you so much for all your comments and advice.  I have passed this link on to OH as I think a new coffee maker is being delivered on the 25th!  [Www][/quote]

[:-))]..............easier than lingerie I suppose...............[:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="Pink"]Dear all - thank you so much for all your comments and advice.  I have passed this link on to OH as I think a new coffee maker is being delivered on the 25th!  [Www][/quote]

[:-))]..............easier than lingerie I suppose...............[:D]

[/quote]

mmm -  the problem with OH buying underwear is that it is never very practical! [:$] at least I can use the coffee maker... and it is a step up from a grass seed necklace, oven gloves and tongs... I kid you not!!!!

Hi Peeps

Bought a espresso machine from Lidl last week (UK) and it's the bee's knee's, they normally have the same specials in France so go have a look at only £39.99 it's a bargain really good crema and the milk frother works well as well for your cappuccino, comes with a 3 year warranty and super coffee.

• 5 months later...

Our espresso machine had been coughing and spluttering lately.  Last weekend I saw the Senseo in the supermarket for 80 euros and bought one, not the new generation one, the simple one.  All the girl could tell me about the new generation one was that it holds more water.

So far, it is clean and easy to use and makes a smashing cup of frothy coffee.  Very pleased with it.   [:)]

http://www.senseo.com/fr/SenseoFR/

We have a Nespresso machine and it is just fab. For two people, or a lot of the time just one, it is just perfect. I regret to say I have never had a cup of percolated coffee that I could say was "really delicious", nor one from the one that you put on top of the stove. Coffee through a plunger sometimes works, but not always. Same for filters.

So I swallow my conscience about Nestles and expensive capsules with a yummy cup or bowl of Nespresso (Volupto is excellent long or short).

I have also had some excellent cups of coffee from Senseo. Their little bags are biodegradeable for those of you who are not keen on the alu capsules from Nespresso.

Percolators - yuk.

We brought a Gaggia with us but descaling was a bit of a nightmare, then there was the 50km round trip to the coffee shop (and freshly ground coffee doesn't stay freshly ground very long) ...

Last year my wife bought me a Nespresso (automatic) - fantastic. Not cheap (26c-35c/cup) and a pain if you have visitors for dinner (one cup every 40 seconds or so) but the result is excellent and they have both a good range of coffees plus occasional "guest" ones. OK, eco-warriors can complain about the foil capsules that go off to the déchetterie but they certainly keep the contents in tip-top condition (and that, surely, is the whole point of a "decent" cup of coffee). I send off an order for more capsules roughly every quarter.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Last weekend I saw the Senseo in the supermarket for 80 euros and bought one, not the new generation one, the simple one. 

[/quote]

Just seen it in Leclerc for 59 euros.  [:@]    That's quite a difference and more than worth it at that price.  So if you'd like one, you know where to go!   [:D]

[quote user="Christine Animal"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

Last weekend I saw the Senseo in the supermarket for 80 euros and bought one, not the new generation one, the simple one. 

[/quote]

Just seen it in Leclerc for 59 euros.  [:@]    That's quite a difference and more than worth it at that price.  So if you'd like one, you know where to go!   [:D]

[/quote]

I bought my last Senseo machine in the UK at  Makro for £19.99 + VAT, at first I thought it was a misprint, I arrived at the store a few days after the start of the promo and there were still plenty there, any colour that you like as long as it was silver!

I have seen them again since then at that price.