CAMERAS

Cardinal

>Where's the best place to buy
>a digital camera in France?
>Should I go to Andorra?
>or buy on my next
>UK trip?

Any good photographic shop should stock a pretty good range of digital cameras even the Hypermarkets sell them. I have seen Canon, Minolta, Nikon etc.

I personally would not buy electrical equipment in Andorra, having been there, and looked round the shops, it was just like Tenerife; nothing is ever quite the latest model, there's never any prices on the goods, & for some reason they never seem to have what you want. When we were in Tenerife I wanted to buy speakers for my walkman & the bloke in the shop tried to convince me that speakers were always sold separately at a price per speaker .... Andorra struck me as exactly the same.

My other half is a computer boffin/photographer & he would not have bought anything in Andorra (God knows he tried!).

The other thing about the place is that you spend several hours driving up a tortuous road in a massive queue of traffic to get there (you also have to join a queue to both enter & leave the place); so any savings you have made are gone in petrol & you can only leave with about 1 litre of spirits with you (oh & they search about every other car as it leaves!)

He also doesn't rate buying electrical goods in France - & believe me he has spent many hours browsing in Darty, Carrefour etc - they appear to be relatively expensive.

To be honest, (in my opinion) you are far better off doing your research on the internet and getting something mail order. I recently bought a brilliant Sony P72 Digital Camera from Amazon for 60 less than the normal retail price (it was delivered to a UK address). I got a memory stick via the US Ebay site for a fraction of the UK cost.

Obviously there's probably people who would disagree, but this is what we have found to be the easiest option. At least on the internet you can compare prices & see all different models & you don't have sales assistants coming up to you every few minutes trying to help.

I've looked in the past at http://www.kelkoo.com (as recommended below) for France, GB and other places where I've had to go, in search of cheap prices and agree that there has been very little to choose, price-wise, between any of them.

I eventually bought manufacturers' reconditioned / ex-demo models at very good prices when I've been over to London and have been very happy with my purchases.

We bought our digi-camera from www.topachat.com . After a lot of research, both on the internet & high-street, I found they were cheapest when comparing like-with-like.

This is a French, internet based company, who we use for most PC, audio & elctrical goods. We've found them well priced, well stocked & very quick at sending the goods out.

Just have a quick look on their site & see if they have what you need. I don't always assume they will be the cheapest, but each time I research buying a 'major purchase' they keep coming up in the top of the results.

In case anybody suggests it, I have no relationship with the above company, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Best wishes
Tony

• 1 month later...