Horse breed societies/competing

Hi

I'm a total newbie to this forum - bonjour.

We're hoping to move to France this Autumn (79) 20k south of Saumur and will be bringing two horses across. I bought Rupert a few months ago and the only paperwork I have for him is his covering certificate (he's now 5) and I'm coming up against a brick wall with various breed societies here because a) the breed society his sire is registered with has gone out of business, b) the British Warmblood Society would require his sire to have been graded in his country of origin (he wasn't and I'm not even sure if he is graded even now), c) I cannot trace the breeder of his dam, I only have heresay that she had good lines (the dam that is ).... and it's now looking like my only option is to register Roo with the Pleasure Horse Society here .

How easy is it to register with a breed society in France and what papers would I require?
Would registration with the British Pleasure Horse Society be sufficient?

Any help and pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Gail

LAST EDITED ON 14-Jul-04 AT 01:06 PM (BST)

hi welcome to the forum.

In order to compete you should look at the many previous postings/thread on the subject. The system is very different from the UK.

The french are quite strict on breeding and almost certainly they would not accept the society you mentioned. In order to compete or participate in anything 'official' the idendification certificate must be stamped with a "certificate d'origine" - without this you can not entre a competition and in many cases no even unaffiliated events.

Either you need to try and get breed papers and/or he could be entered into a series of special OI (origine innconnu) competetions in order to gain points to be classified. If he gained classification he would then be able to compete fully.

also check out SIRE web site http://www.haras-nationaux.fr/ which is the central registration body in France. They will eventually decide whether or not he can be registered for competitions. Maybe worth giving them a ring - they are usually quite helpful.

regs

Richard