Places to visit along Med coast

Angie

Does anyone know of any "pretty" seaside areas south of Narbonne, as far down as the Spanish coast?  We have visited this area several times and have been rather disappointed with this stretch of coast, although most guidebooks say otherwise - even Coulieure (sure I haven't spelt that right) was a bit of let down; couldn't even find anywhere open to eat.  Maybe we have just been unlucky.  Don't particularly want touristy places, just pretty and quaint - somewhere to spend an afternoon.  We would like to spend time in this area as we have recently purchased a house in France and it is our nearest stretch of coast.  Many thanks

[quote]In my opinoin you have to go as far south as the bottom end of Argeles (la Rocque ?) and then head south to get enything interesting. The coast road between France and Spain is great, if hairy. Good...[/quote]

The coast road was much, much worse in the 70's !

Peter

>The coast road was much, much worse in the 70's !

I'm incredulous.

I had a great run over the top, through the old customs and passport control bit. Going the coastal road gave great views of the sea, the train yards and all sorts of things. By the time I got to the first Spanish village I was ready for a beer by the sea. But if the roads had been worse I might bave needed more than a beer !

Cheers

John

Hi

Well,  there were no crash barriers, and on the Spanish side the road had broken up with the sun leaving bumpy rubble on each hairpin. On the Spanish side, some of it was single track.The road hairpinned down and up each of the valleys (and tortuously through each seaside village) which now have high level bridges. And the border was very difficult : got green card, got Spanish bail bond, got etc. etc

But it is still a wonderfully scenic road.

Peter

[quote]Does anyone know of any "pretty" seaside areas south of Narbonne, as far down as the Spanish coast? We have visited this area several times and have been rather disappointed with this stretch of coas...[/quote]

Hi

a little bit East of where you hit the coast, but the towns around Etang de Thau meet your needs.

I particularly like Bouzigues, which is the popular Sunday lunch spot for Montpellerians. And if you want something more vibrant, Sete is a larger place to explore :

Peter