Guns, DTI Export Licences & French Customs? - Help!

Hi,

My wife & I are about to take the 3 No. shotguns & 1 No. .22 Rifle(FAC) to our permanent home in Dept 86.  We both have full European weapons permits applicable to these guns, along with our Sussex Police certificates - that we will surrender once the guns are safe in our new home.

My question is - has anybody actually applied for, received and used, let alone been asked to use the (UK) DTI (Dept' Trade & Industry) licences that the UK Police force say we need to apply for?

I cannot imagine the French Customs asking for them, let alone knowing what they are intended for.

Has anybody had any recent experience of taking their guns for permanent export across the Channel via Brittany Ferries for example?

I am concerned in potentially being delayed in Caen, as we have two infants and two spaniels who all have a six hour drive ahead of them, before I attempt to delve in to unforseen French Customs bureacracy!

Is it easy, will we be dealyed, what are the pitfalls we will face, and do we need those blessed DTI export licences?

Assurances required please - this scenario is causing me more worry than the complete permanent move.

Many thanks, and please no pious threads on the ethics of shooting - we own/live on a working farm and target shoot also.

many thanks,

Mark & Kay

No idea of the answer, I'm afraid, but I'm a bit concerned that you have to ask! I would hope that transporting firearms was well regulated, but from what you say it seems that it isn't.

Out of interest, what do you use the .22 for? Target shooting or something like rabbits?

We came over by car using the Channel Tunnel.  We had declared when booking that we would have an air rifle and a .22 and appropriate ammo, as well as 2 dogs and a cat etcetc.  They made no demands as to how the guns should be transported, but we kept the action/ammo separate from the rifle etc for good practice.  They issued us with stickers for the windscreen to show we had guns.  No-one looked in the car either leaving the UK or entering France, although i was prepared to show my certificates.  (I got a European Firearms pass before I left the UK - it took a while to come through.)

Once here I took the rifle and the permits to the local police - they seemed a bit puzzled but handed me a piece of paper to show that it was going to be reported to the Prefecture.  Never heard another thing.  Am ashamed to say that after 4 years we have still not bolted the firearms cabinet to the wall, as keep arguing where to put it......

As an aside, I searched for a target-shooting club around our area, but never found one.  Hence the gun has never been used since our arrival.

Suggest you phone your ferry company and find out their requirements before travelling.

Hope this helps

Chrissie (81)

• 1 year later...
we are moving to france in sept and my husband has a european firearms we have 2 shot guns and an air rifle but we didnt no if we could bring them as we are renting for 4 months first while we look for a house, do you think this would be a problem