Horse drawn carriage/cart

Just spent 10 days in France ...

Imagine my surprise to find that my Dad (living in France) bought me a present at a recent brocante - un chariot!

Just need a horse now!

It may well be a fun hobby for the future, if I get to live in France one day. I believe there may be a club near us as we've seen them en masse at a nearby restaurant - Coutances/St Lo.

Has anyone already got any experience of driving horses?  I can ride but have never thought of 'driving'.

Also 15 or so horses rode past our place on Saturday so I imagine some stables do hack out - pls let me know if you know of any stables that accommodate novices who'd like to hack out in my area - Coutances/St Lo - so I can get back in the saddle, as well as friends who'd like to try.

Would be interested to hear from anyone  ...

Many thanks [:D]

Normandie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we live in the Morbihan and have four horses, two of whom are driving horses.  I mostly drive Penny, the welsh mountain in her little two wheeled cart, but have not had the time this year.

Two bits of advice.  NEVER drive alone - always take a 'groom'.  Just in case of a problem.

ALWAYS wear a hard hat.  And make your passengers do it too.  Carts are more dangerous than horses as they can easily tip over.

Unfortunately, the deep ditches either side of most roads and the fact that our local drivers show no consideration at all to horses put me off slightly.

However, it is a great passtime.

Have a go as soon as you can.

Fil