License procedure for a .22 rifle

jehe

Having given up my guns ( and desire to shoot) in the UK I now find myself in the situation of needing a .22 rimfire for control of pests such as rats and coypu on my land. I would like to know how I go about legally licensing and buying a suitable rifle.

We bought a .22 rifle a couple of years ago, but before the purchase went to the Gendarmerie to check about a license.

We were told as long as it wasnt being used for hunting, and just being used within the confines of our land for vermin control one wasnt necessary.

On purchasing it the retailer filled in our details in a registration book.

It was as simple as that!

ps Shoot as many coypus as poss!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the replys - a couple of questions if I may.

Firstly if the law changed what is the procedure now, to obtain a licence ??

Chris,with regards to the coypu, it is lawful to trap and dispatch them but how do you dispatch them if you are not allowed to shoot them??

thanks.

In the case of a .22 rimfire, you got to the gun-shop and make your purchase. They will, usually, assist you in completing the form 'Declaration d'acquisition des Armes de 5 Categorie ll ou de 7 Categorie l' You then take this form to your local police station where they will stamp it and give you the 'yellow' copy. They may visit you to check on your security measures, sometimes they do, smetimes not.

You must keep the ammunition and magazine separate to the rifle and when being transported in a vehicle it must be incapable of being used. Dismantled in the case of shotguns and 'trigger-locked in the case of rifles and pistols. It must also not be visible and if you are stopped when on the road (Document checks etc) be sure to tell the police that you have your rifle in the car. This will prevent a potentially dangerous situation developing, I kid you not.

Purchasing ammunition for .22 rimfire has no current limit set on how much you can buy although some sellers now insist on production of either your Fed. de Chasse or TIR certificate.

Hope this helps but please don't shoot the Coypu, contrary to others views they don't do anymore damage than anything else and are really rather nice to have around. Apart from that the above certificate does not allow you any hunting rights. Vermin control only.

I think it's a matter of applying to your Gendarmourie, but someone else may clarify that.

Trapping is also regulated and requires licensing as the trap by law must be visited twice a day at specific intervals to prevent undue suffering and non target species released unharmed. The normal method of dispatch would be to club the creature across the back of the head / neck, or to put it in a sack and smash it against a large tree or rock, this needs to be performed with skill and confidence to produce a quick death.

Of course what people actually do is nothing to do with the law and in this instance I don't really want to take a position on it, except that providing the person knows what they are doing and can be sure that the creature is a Ragondin, I would not be over concerned if their destruction was not completely legal, I'm more concerned about the use of poisons which cause serious damage to other creatures and the environment as a whole.

Chris

Thank you Chris and Bugbear for taking the trouble to explain things to me. To explain myself better I will add that I am an animal lover that would never cause suffering knowingly to any creature. Having said that I have a tremendous problem on my lakes with Coypu who not only have undermined my island with their burrows but are in such numbers hat they completely destroy my flag Iris and other vegetation. The other concern is like rats they also carry weils desease and as we are opening as a commercial carp fishery in the spring it can be a real risk if (as they are described) people see 'rats' the size of terriers all over the lake !!! Believe me Chris, the only way of dispatching a coypu of the size we have is to shoot it once trapped !!

[quote user="Bugbear"]

In the case of a .22 rimfire, you got to the gun-shop and make your purchase. They will, usually, assist you in completing the form 'Declaration d'acquisition des Armes de 5 Categorie ll ou de 7 Categorie l' You then take this form to your local police station where they will stamp it and give you the 'yellow' copy. They may visit you to check on your security measures, sometimes they do, smetimes not.

You must keep the ammunition and magazine separate to the rifle and when being transported in a vehicle it must be incapable of being used. Dismantled in the case of shotguns and 'trigger-locked in the case of rifles and pistols. It must also not be visible and if you are stopped when on the road (Document checks etc) be sure to tell the police that you have your rifle in the car. This will prevent a potentially dangerous situation developing, I kid you not.

Purchasing ammunition for .22 rimfire has no current limit set on how much you can buy although some sellers now insist on production of either your Fed. de Chasse or TIR certificate.

Hope this helps but please don't shoot the Coypu, contrary to others views they don't do anymore damage than anything else and are really rather nice to have around. Apart from that the above certificate does not allow you any hunting rights. Vermin control only.

[/quote]

Hi. There are no security requirements for 5th and 7th cat weapons. You can have as many as you like and keep them where you like, there is no requirement to dismantle them or have a trigger lock( this only applies to 1st and 4th cat firearms). I personally think that it is a bad idea to keep firearms laid around the house but to lock them away. You can no longer buy 5th or 7th cat ammo without producing your FFT or FFBT licences or permis de chasse plus a ID card or passport.

Yorky

[quote user="yorky"]

Hi. There are no security requirements for 5th and 7th cat weapons. You can have as many as you like and keep them where you like, there is no requirement to dismantle them or have a trigger lock( this only applies to 1st and 4th cat firearms). I personally think that it is a bad idea to keep firearms laid around the house but to lock them away. You can no longer buy 5th or 7th cat ammo without producing your FFT or FFBT licences or permis de chasse plus a ID card or passport.

[/quote]

Yorky,

As you seem to have access to a different set of rules to me, perhaps you can you tell me where you got your information from. Mine comes from the Federation Francais de Tir handbook and is current.

Incidently my references to dismantled weapons and trigger locks refers to transportation specifically and applies to all weapons being carried in a vehicle.

Hi Bugbear

Sorry you are totally wrong. What is in the FFT handbook is a recommendation and not the law. If you are transporting 5th and 7th cat firearms as long as they are in a gunslip or a case then they do not need either a gun lock or to be dismantled. Trust me on this one if gunlocks were required for 5th cat firearms then I would be laughing all the way to the bank. When they were introduced for 1st and 4th cat weapons We sold 4000+ trigger locks in 3 months.

Yorky 

I bow to your greater knowledge, I consider rules to be the same as the law when it comes to firearms. It's a bit strange though given that I shoot with a number of the local gerndarmes and they told me about transportation and to always tell the policeman when you are stopped that you have weapons in the car.

I have always trigger-locked my pistols and removed the bolt and magazine from my rifles and that does seem like a sensible thing to do.

Our local police also insist on a steel cabinet for category 5 weapons, so perhaps there is some difference locally regarding the rules.

At the end of the day I prefer to be safe when it comes to storage and transportation.

Do you have a copy of the January 2006 law changes relating to category 5 & 7 weapons, I know it exists but I can't find one ?

Do you have a gun shop in france, by the way ?

Hi Bugbear.

Off course I do aggree with you about firearm security it really should be a lot better in France. The problem with the police ect they tend to interpret the law as they see it and not as it is written. I like the attitude in France to shooting it is a bit like the 70s in the uk and I sincerely hope that it stays that way. I will have a look for the paper on the change in the law it will be lying around somewhere when I find it I will pm you and perhaps I could e-mail it to you. To answer your last question I have been selling guns and bits to go with them since 1990 here in France.

Yorky 

• 5 months later...
Hello, we've been reading with interest the issues regarding rifle licencing etc and its use with 'le ragodin'.  We have a small carp lake and the ragodin have eaten all the reed beds and most of the new vegetation (lilies etc) that we've planted this year and also made a 'colander' of the island in the middle of the lake and the water level is suffering.  We've tried traps with no success at all.  We had minor success with our dog (Jack Russell x Lakeland/Patterdale terrier) and we're now looking for a more accurate way of dealing with the problem.  We see that you have a gun shop in France.  We live in Deux Sevres - what area are you because we are very interested in buying a .22 rifle to solve the current situation.  Any advice would be most welcome.  Best regards The Gardon Hunter.......