la sieste

mint

If anyone hasn't yet adopted this delightful habit, then I urge you to take it up straightaway as the present very warm weather is most conducive to taking to one's bed in the afternoon.

Don't worry if you don't make a habit of doing this or indeed have never considered it.

Just go into a cool, darkened room (I go to my bedroom), loosen your clothes, kick off your shoes, lie down, close your eyes, slow down your breathing and, in no time at all, you feel yourself drifting lightly and deliciously away to the Land of Nod.

Sometimes I take a book, something gentle with no controversial material, but I seldom get past more than a page or two.

Just wish I'd discover what to do on warm afternoons before now.....

I've stopped my siestas. I used to have them regularly, but I don't any more unless I am feeling unwell.

I used to like them at anytime of the year. Maybe it is because I get up at around 9.30 or 10 or even 11, doesn't leave much time in a day for a siesta, now does it[Www]

Well, that depends if you go late into the night as I often do.

In the Middle East it is usual to have a long siesta in the summer months, to live a split day, and to be up quite late. Which is where I acquired the habit. As Sweets says, it is very agreeable when it is hot and heavy.

Of course, it can lead to love in the afternoon!!![kiss]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[/quote]

You should know, Wooly [;-)]

This hot weather has changed my daily routine - we don't actually go to bed in the afternoon, but don't venture out again until after about 6pm.

Also, last week I did some gardening between 7 to 8am, when it was still cool. Hoping to start this again tomorrow.

I usually go to bed late, hence I get up late. Truth is that I hate mornings, loathe them. If I could I'd rather be going to bed as the morning light starts and up at lunch time.

Love in the afternoon is good, but in the heat of summer? I can think of a few reasons why it isn't..... but maybe the reasons are not for this board[:P]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

[/quote]

I have now found the French expression for what Wooly was talking about.  It's called "la sieste coquine".

Just thought I'd post that in case anyone finds a need for such an expression?[I]